ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Wi-Fi Makes Trees Sick!

<< < (4/4)

Stoic Joker:
The part that's been bugging me is many people are saying that WiFi being "right next to" Microwave is somehow "proof" of it's damnation. Yet the also rather dangerous ultraviolet "radiation" is right next to visible light (which has proven to be relatively safe...) ... So the whole guilt by association thing really isn't working for me.

worstje:
Dutch article on this subject

It's kind of useless to most I suppose, but I figured I'd post it since my contact at the university had no clue where to find more info. The article above says results have not been published yet, there's some details about numbers and testing methods, but TNO (a big organisation dedicated to nature/physical research) says they do not support the university and that any conclusions are the universities own. (Although one TNO member did from time to time assist the researchers of the univesity.) The university itself also voices a wish to repeat the experiment with a bigger testing group over a longer period.

They're basically covering their asses since the effect of very fine dust in the air has not been excluded as a possible source yet.

All in all, I think the research was just fine. It just needs what every study needs: confirmation, and more specific tests to continue on the lack of answers and extra questions previous studies have brought on.

40hz:
It would be nice to be able to get a look at the experimental design document for this study.

I've got no intrinsic quarrel with sponsored studies as long as all the cards get laid out on the table for examination and peer review.

Be interesting to see what controls were set up along with which statistical methodologies were used to interpret the test results. Otherwise, it's just another candidate for mention in the next What the Bleep! Do We Know? installment. (i.e. a "good story" but hardly scientific proof)

Guess we'll have to wait for more complete information.

Shades:
@40Hz
If you want more of the same ilk as 'What the bleep! do we know?", you should try 'Ancient Aliens' (History Channel). From memory, the first title starts out reasonable enough, but becomes more and more esoteric.

'Ancient Aliens' consists of 6 episodes from about 45-60 minutes. It was more interesting in some parts, but even more esoteric in others (the aeronautics part I found interesting).

On-topic:
Here in Asuncion the municipality does not remove trees even when they grow in the middle of the street. The power company (yes, there is only one here) does not remove branches when they put cables up. But when a transformer in the grid goes bad (recognizable by the sound it makes) there are no leaves around the power lines that go through trees.

From what I see it looks like trees are (minimally) affected by electromagnetism, so it is not a big stretch for me to believe that high frequencies can have their effect on them too.

KynloStephen66515:
It would be nice to be able to get a look at the experimental design document for this study.
-40hz (November 25, 2010, 09:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Same.

PCWorld aint the best of sources, but the headline slightly interested me, so I thought it might do the same here...seems I got my desired result  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version