ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

My Canon IP5000 inkjet is dead :( What now?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Carol Haynes:
+1 for Canon printers (certainly over HP).

HP software/drivers is truly awful - it can take up to an hour to install. If you need to update the software it can take an hour to uninstall the old stuff and install the new and you'll probably have to download 50-90% of a CD of software too. (Installing a new version over the old works occasionally but isn't good if/when you need to remove the lot). Numerous problems with software breaking and having to be reinstalled - generally massive software bloat.

I have an ip5000 too and it eventually died. Have you tried cleaning the printhead yourself manually? Buy a bottle of isobutyl alcohol and soak the printing parts of the head for a few hour. Tap the head on the side of your sink to shake out any ink residue - then wash with clean alcohol. Give it a good shake outside and see if you can get the printer to run a cleaning cycle.

I have fixed a number of print heads doing this.

The big disadvantage of Canon printers is that you have to use Canon ink (I have seen so many clogged print heads as a result of using non original ink). The plus point is that it is generally considerably cheaper than the rivals because the ink cartridges contain little or no electronics.

FWIW I am now using a Canon XM850 all in one (including fax, sheet feed printing and CD printing) and it is fantastic. I think it has been discontinued but there is an MX860 (I think) that replaced it. If you don't need fax or CD printing try the Pixma MP560 - fantastic, good quality, wireless all-in-one printer.

Stoic Joker:
HP software/drivers is truly awful - it can take up to an hour to install. If you need to update the software it can take an hour to uninstall the old stuff and install the new and you'll probably have to download 50-90% of a CD of software too. (Installing a new version over the old works occasionally but isn't good if/when you need to remove the lot). Numerous problems with software breaking and having to be reinstalled - generally massive software bloat.-Carol Haynes (November 24, 2010, 09:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
What?!? You have actually seen an HP software update complete successfully without BSODing the machine?!? - Say it isn't so! - I work for an HP ASP and have never seen that happen. Something (granted it may be quite small) is (almost apparently) always destroyed.

But seriously, HP did finally start making the bloated garbage optional. So there is an option (that you have to hunt for) to just install the printer driver (which really only needs to be updated if you are having a problem with the device).

I have an ip5000 too and it eventually died. Have you tried cleaning the printhead yourself manually? Buy a bottle of isobutyl alcohol and soak the printing parts of the head for a few hour. Tap the head on the side of your sink to shake out any ink residue - then wash with clean alcohol. Give it a good shake outside and see if you can get the printer to run a cleaning cycle.

I have fixed a number of print heads doing this.
--- End quote ---

This is the same (fix) option the service department suggested (they can't get the head either). However they did suggested soaking/cleaning it with plain water because it's cheaper, safer, and right there (seriously the tech was pointing at the sink when he said it).

Carol Haynes:
Isobutyl alcohol or isopropanol are much better solvents for ink than water. They evaporate completely and quickly. It's also pretty cheap - in the UK I buy it by the litre from Amazon!

Try this in the US: http://www.amazon.com/VI-JON-CUMBERLAND-SWAN-ALCOHOL-ISOPROPYL/dp/B001B5JT8C

I tried water and ended up flushing it with alcohol simply because it was a beggar to get the water completely out with the any ink residue - some always remained and then the ink dried out again.

Stoic Joker:
...And that tracks with my logic too *Shrug* But the techs do (tons of these things) this for a living, so I gotta defer to them.

If you've ever had to do a cleaning station service/repair - which is a huge mess if the customer has (most do...) tipped the printer spilling ink every where inside the printer (I've done a few...) - Plain water works perfectly for the cleanup.

Frequently just setting the print head on a folded wet paper towel (for an hour or so) will wick out the offending dried ink.

4wd:
Methylated Spirits is generally cheaper and easier to get, (any DIY, garage shop, hardware, etc), and can work just as well.

With respect to Isopropyl Alcohol that is, not water :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version