ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

My Canon IP5000 inkjet is dead :( What now?

(1/5) > >>

Ampa:
After a beautiful relationship spanning 5 years, with no warning, my Canon IP5000 has given up the ghost.

I turned on the power today and was greeted with an ominous pattern of flashing LEDs. After searching out the service manual I discovered that "5 Orange flashes" means "Error with printhead".

So I removed the printhead, reinstalled it, re-removed it, cleaned it, re-reinstalled it, re-re-removed it, stripped it down and re-cleaned it, re-re-reinstalled it - and still no joy.

Now I've spent several hours looking for someone selling Canon spares who will sell me a replacement, but the part is discontinued, and nobody has any stock left.

Why do I mourn the passing of this particular printer so much? Well, it is a good quality product, which has functioned faultlessly throughout its life, but more than that, it was the last printer that Canon made which used chip-free ink cartridges.

So, what now?

I am pretty much broke so can't afford to splash out, and am loathed to replace it with a cheap inferior product, especially any machine that will lock me into using chipped cartridges.

Can anyone suggest a good retailer / manufacturer / product that is worthy of investigation?

Stoic Joker:
Assuming I can remember...I'll check (with the service techs) at the office tomorrow to see if we have a source (or fix) for the part.

tomos:
I probably cant help much but FWIW I'll tell my experience with Canon.
I've had canon printers a good few years  now, and loved the prints, but I but havent had as much luck as you have in term of lifespan.
Things go wrong and I hear that *possibly* a new printhead, which costs half the printer price, *might* fix the problem. At that stage I've usually bought a new printer.
I've decided to get an Epson next, from what I have heard, they keep going for years - the older ones tended to get clogged but they actually work again if you clean out the printhead. You see some fairly old Epson printers on sale on Ebay. Obviously I'd need to research a bit more to decide what exactly.

I've found this forum to be very helpful re inkjet printers
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/index.php

mouser:
i had an hp before i had my canon pixma, and i don't think ill ever go back, canon has been a joy to use. 
5 years is a long life for an inkjet, especially given costs of inks vs cost of machine. if it were me, unless it is an expensive wide format printer i'd just dump it and get a new one.

cranioscopical:
i had an hp before i had my canon pixma, and i don't think ill ever go back, canon has been a joy to use. 
5 years is a long life for an inkjet, especially given costs of inks vs cost of machine. if it were me, unless it is an expensive wide format printer i'd just dump it and get a new one.
-mouser (November 23, 2010, 08:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not quite on topic but here's a cautionary taleā€¦

* I've used Canon all-in-one machines for grunt work for some years now and been extremely pleased with them.
* Being of a miserly bent, I regularly cursed the cost of printer ink.
* I read all the cautions about using cheap ink.
* Recently, as a trial, I bought and used one set of non-Canon 'bargain' ink.
* Need new print head.
Nobody's fault but my own  :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version