topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2011 Release: JottiQ  (Read 247533 times)

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Release: JottiQ
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2011, 05:15 PM »
Thank you for your reply, ccondrup. I am glad you enjoy JottiQ! :)

That is indeed something that needs looking at. I intended to add one of those at some point, but I rarely use such 'internal' selection dialogs myself and with the drag/drop, commandline and shell extension supported, it somehow felt as if I had covered all my bases.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2011, 05:54 PM »
I think it would be wise when user presses "add running processes" to pop up a yes/no messagebox that tells user what is about to happen :)

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2011, 06:00 PM »
That entire function needs an overhaul anyway. It is slow, misses files, and to boot tends to be misleading since people expect a good result to mean the process is fine. Which it isn't; rundll32.exe shell32_.dll,TakeOverMyPCAsRunDLL is a commandline of a running process that would be quite nasty yet rundll32.exe is 100% safe.

As I already wrote in a forum thread at Wilders Security, I am quite tempted to remove the function as a whole since it does not properly fit the 'usage domain' for which JottiQ was written.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:04 PM by worstje »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2011, 06:42 PM »
I agree, remove the function. If there is a way to *selectively* upload running processes (and ideally, to automatically disallow upload of Windows system files that won't give relevant results anyway, e.g. rundll32.exe), that would be a better way to handle the feature. But modern Task Manager has the ability to "find source file" for any given running EXE and they can then use JottiQ that way, as it was intended.

- Oshyan

jCat

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2011, 06:40 AM »
Greetings

XP Pro 32 bit, SP3

I installed JottiQ v1.0.2.22338

Since I do have the latest .Net Framework v4 only C++ 2010 redist. was downloaded
The installation went smoothly, but when I'm starting the Application  nothing happening except the hourglass, which  appears for a second.
There is no GUI and JottiQ is not listed among the running processes.

I then tried a portable version with the same negative result.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2011, 06:58 AM »
Hello jCat, welcome to DonationCoder! :)

Thanks for trying out JottiQ. As for your problem.. I am unsure what is causing the problem as I haven't heard of this issue before.

When starting up, JottiQ checks for an already running instance and if it finds it activates that old instance and kills the new one, but that shouldn't trigger here at all. So I am rather confused at this time. You never saw the window asking you to agree to some terms regarding privacy etc, right?

Did you per chance get a crash message or something noted in your event log? I think that's where program crashes get logged if XP doesn't explicitly tell you. You can find it in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer, and then on the left Windows Logs -> Application.

Otherwise, if you come to IRC (#donationcoder @ irc.efnet.org, or try the chat link at the top of these forums), perhaps we can talk a bit more directly which might help to narrow down the problem. In the worst case I can try to send you some debug builds to see if it might narrow it down some, as it is obviously something quite unique to your situation. :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 07:07 AM by worstje »

jCat

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2011, 07:16 AM »
Did you per chance get a crash message or something noted in your event log?
Thanks for the reply worstje

Sure - my fault. Should've done that in the 1st place. Below is quite a message  :)

Regards

Source: .NET Runtime
Type Error EventID 1026

Application: JottiQ.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.FileFormatException
Stack:
   at System.Windows.Window.ShowDialog()
   at JottiQ.App.AppStartup(System.Object, System.Windows.StartupEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Application.OnStartup(System.Windows.StartupEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(System.Object)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode, CleanupCode, System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run()
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run(System.Windows.Window)
   at JottiQ.App.Main()

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2011, 07:31 AM »
That's indeed quite the message. And it baffles me even more-so than your original report. :-\

For as far I can tell (but it is a bit vague) it seems to imply that when I try to show a dialog it read a file of which the format borked everything to high hell. Which is amusing as I do not read any external files except for stuff passed, and especially not in the privacy-agreement window I suspect it refers to. .NET has the craziest bugs for me to work around I tell you. :(

Can you tell me anything about your Language/Regional settings? Some things I read on the web suggest it might somehow involve character sets and whatnot, and tbh I am grasping a bit at straws at present. (Although I won't rest till I find the bugger.)

Edit: Can you come to the chat per chance? I might have a build or two I'd like to run by you to see what happens if you have the time.

Edit2: Do you per chance have a font called Deja Vu Sans Mono installed? Or other Bitstream fonts? They cause these errors in some other WPF applications, and it is said removing them fixes it for those. (Hardly a good solution, but at this point it seems to be a WPF/Microsoft thing that I don't think I can work around, although I'll look into the matter if this does prove to be the issue.)

Edit3: It seems to come along with Open Office. This discussion seems to have information on how to figure out what font causes it (if it isn't the Deja Vu one) and work around it. Sadly, it does not tell how to 'fix' it for me, which is a bit much of a bugger.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 07:46 AM by worstje »

jCat

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2011, 08:02 AM »
Can you tell me anything about your Language/Regional settings? Some things I read on the web suggest it might somehow involve character sets and whatnot, and tbh I am grasping a bit at straws at present. (Although I won't rest till I find the bugger.)

Edit: Can you come to the chat per chance? I might have a build or two I'd like to run by you to see what happens if you have the time.

Edit2: Do you per chance have a font called Deja Vu Sans Mono installed? Or other Bitstream fonts? They cause these errors in some other WPF applications, and it is said removing them fixes it for those. (Hardly a good solution, but at this point it seems to be a WPF/Microsoft thing that I don't think I can work around, although I'll look into the matter if this does prove to be the issue.)
This is English version set to English Australian.
At the same time I do use second language(rather 2).
Therefore "...language to match the language version for non_Unicode..." is set to Russian in order to display menus & texts properly in some weirdly written Applications.
That was never a problem for Aps using different versions of .NET Framework.
Moreover, I do have at least 2 Apps currently which specifically  rely on .net v4 and they are working.
As for Deja Vu - the viewer is installed, and respectively several DJ fonts including Sans Mono

Well I may try to use chat but not today (already night :)  )

Thanks for the responses
Regards

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2011, 08:11 AM »
The fact you confirm that you have Deja Vu makes me suspect that one is indeed the culprit here and I doubt visiting IRC will be needed at this time as we narrowed it down a bit. I am not sure when I can find time to work on this issue as I am heading to have a busy saturday, maybe even busy sunday depending on the state of affairs. To boot, once I get down to working on it, I am not fully sure I will be able to reproduce the error and/or find a way to work around it.

Could you zip up all the DJ fonts that you have and attach them to a post? Alternatively, if that's not possible, you could also email them to jottiq-support [located at] whitehat.dcmembers.com. (Fix the parts in square brackets with the appropriate sign first, of course.)

That way I have a set of testing files that are known to have the issue as I suspect newer releases of these fonts have this issue fixed. And while I can just tell people to upgrade/delete the fonts because I can't reproduce it, I'd much rather deliver a proper fix. Expression Blend could fix/work around it, so hopefully so can I. :)

Thank you very much for the bug report, jCat. I appreciate it! :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2011, 08:34 AM »
Thank you very much for the bug report, jCat. I appreciate it!

And thank you very much for providing an exemplary, civil response that furthers good opinions of DC in general and your good self in particular!

jCat

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2011, 07:34 PM »
I am not sure when I can find time to work on this issue
Don't worry, worstje. Take your time

Thank you very much for the bug report, jCat. I appreciate it! :)
My pleasure. Don't mention it.

Could you zip up all the DJ fonts that you have and attach them to a post?
Files are archived. Will try to attach or will e-mail in case some size limit  is set here. The file is almost 2MB

In addition I tested JottiQ start after temporarily removing all DJ fonts and got the same result/Error, so the problem is somewhere deeper

My regards

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2011, 08:59 PM »
Hmm, removing them temporarily didn't help? :( Got any other Bitstream fonts installed? Maybe it is something with stuff from that vendor.

Edit: I have tried to reproduce the issue with the fonts you included on both W7 and a XP SP3 pc, and had no success. So it is indeed not these fonts, or it is a wholly different issue. Is there any chance you can spend a bit of time removing fonts from your Fonts folder to try and figure out which is causing it? (Of course, back them up somewhere else!)

If you can figure out which one is causing it and attach it (try using the Procmon tool that link I posted earlier talked about), then hopefully I'll be able to reproduce the issue with said font. After that, if we end up excluding font-issiues as a complete possibility, we might be able to figure out what else could be causing this. Sadly, the stuff Windows logged on your PC isn't too helpful in itself. :(
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 09:15 PM by worstje »

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2011, 05:30 AM »
Just found about JottiQ.
Thanks for the very nice tool worstje! :Thmbsup:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2011, 03:51 AM »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2011, 03:52 AM »
written up in cybernetnews along with some other nany apps, but check the headline:
http://cybernetnews....e-antivirus-scanner/
"JottiQ Antivirus Scanner is the Shining Point of NANY 2011"

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2011, 04:54 AM »
I'm starting to feel all embarrased with all the attention, y'know! :-[ But I am really thankful for it never the less :-*, and hope people will find the tool useful for all sorts of things. :)

jCat

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #142 on: January 20, 2011, 04:36 PM »
Hi worstje,

Sorry for the delay ... I found some time only today and ran ProcMon

I didn't fing anything "bad" related to fonts, but to my surprise there are many (I mean a lot! of) "Buffer Overflow" Errors.

I saved reports in <>.XML and native <>.PML formats. The files are 69MB and 95MB respectively
I'll try to attach the latter archived ~5MB , but if that fails you can tell where to upload in case you need whole report.

In addition attached are just few examples of those Error entries and respective exports from the Registry (suffixes ".txt" were deliberately added to the ".reg" extension)

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:42 PM by jCat »

zzynx

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2011, 05:12 PM »
Hi worstje,
I stumbled upon a small JottiQ-bug: I can make JottiQ crash by opening/closing the About box several times.
I'm running the latest version on my laptop running Windows XP SP3.

Kind regards and keep up the good work

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #144 on: January 20, 2011, 06:40 PM »
I stumbled upon a small JottiQ-bug: I can make JottiQ crash by opening/closing the About box several times.

Confirmed.  It crashes for me on the second time showing the About box.

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #145 on: January 20, 2011, 10:01 PM »
Guess not many use Vista 64bit so should say I cannot provoke crashes on that OS.

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #146 on: January 21, 2011, 12:58 AM »
Hi worstje,

Sorry for the delay ... I found some time only today and ran ProcMon

I didn't fing anything "bad" related to fonts, but to my surprise there are many (I mean a lot! of) "Buffer Overflow" Errors.

I saved reports in <>.XML and native <>.PML formats. The files are 69MB and 95MB respectively
I'll try to attach the latter archived ~5MB , but if that fails you can tell where to upload in case you need whole report.

In addition attached are just few examples of those Error entries and respective exports from the Registry (suffixes ".txt" were deliberately added to the ".reg" extension)

Cheers!

Thanks, I'll go dig into those! :) Buffer overflows do sound surprising as (last I knew) the code it crashed in wasn't mine, and I tend to be rather careful where buffers are concerned.

Hi worstje,

Kind regards and keep up the good work

Hmm, I can't reproduce it on W7 64-bit either. I've opened the About box like 50 times in a row just now and could not repeat it. Skwire, do you use WXP SP3 as well? I'll give it a test-run later. I suspect the icon stuff is causing these crashes again, although I am pretty sure I hard-coded that stuff. Hmm.

Is there anyone who can reproduce the crash who can give me the stack trace and such as it ends up in the Windows Event log? I gave pointers to the exact place to find it up there when trying to deal with that other crashy behaviour.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:02 AM by worstje »

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #147 on: January 21, 2011, 02:39 AM »
Ok, I dug into the stuff jCat gave me but can't really find anything that is wrong. The buffer overflows are apparently pretty normal - Windows causes them tons, and it is mostly a side-effect of its internal workings as some blogs of Mark Russinovich explained to me. I did some further digging into the guts of the .NET framework, and while I can't find the cause just yet most signs seem to point towards it indeed being a font issue. 9/10 references to (=uses of) that FileFormatException are in code that deals with fonts. I'll try to keep looking tho - for now I'm gonna see if I can find my laptop somewhat at all. :)

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #148 on: January 21, 2011, 05:24 AM »
I might have joyous news for all... or a huge disappointment. :tellme:

The attached file should fix the About box crash, and very hopefully it also fixes jCat's crash upon starting. I am very interested in hearing how it works out for all people with problems (especially jCat as I cannot reproduce his particular usecase). To test it just replace your JottiQ.exe with the one inside the archive and run as usual.

If this test build fixes the issues, I will likely soon release an official v1.0.3 with one or two more minor tweaks but no changes feature-wise. There's plans for new features, but they are being saved up for a v1.1.0.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2011, 05:57 AM »
The attached file should fix the About box crash

And it does for me… XP SP3.

I saw about about 30 times.

Still functions in other ways also — who ever doubted that?

:Thmbsup: