ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: JottiQ

<< < (24/40) > >>

worstje:
I have been trying to hide the entire cache/non-cache thing for as much as possible. Once you start drawing a lot of attention to it, people will be all like 'oh my, I definitely need to re-scan since it might be a stale result'. There already is a second opinion feature for those users who truly need it, but in practice, it is really not necessary. The website itself also offers cached results even though you always upload the file in that case. Why? Because it is only rarely that you really need the file scanned again. The biggest issue is with 0-day viruses/worms and the sort which happened a lot in the days of the big viral email crap. Don't forget that JottiQ is not meant to be a first layer-of-defense - it is meant to be investigative in nature.

Also, while the item is processing you can keep an eye on the status message and/or icon in the queue to see what logical path is being taken. Uploading is very obvious, as are the 'file is queued' and 'intermediate results' bits.

Ath:
It's really nice that Jotti opened the service again for JottiQ, congrats! :Thmbsup:

Now for all users to follow the presented guidelines on the intended-use-pattern...

worstje:
So far, I think it helps greatly that v1.0.2 hasn't had much attention, and that v1.0.1 was getting most of its downloads from some major review sites with tons of users that all tried the app out at the same time. Sadly, v1.0.1 and prior had to be completely banned as a consequence.

At least from now on, JottiQ has an update-check, and it will be able to just error out once Jotti's general load becomes too heavy. It isn't an ideal solution, but given the timespan available to us it was among the best we could figure out. If all goes well over the next few months, I might be able to relax some things or Jotti might be able to get some more capacity. Time will have to tell.

kyrathaba:
At any rate, even if neither of those things two things happens (and I think, personally, that one or the other -- perhaps both -- will), you've provided a very useful program for many people.  Congrats!

Ashraf:
Do you mind providing the portable version in .ZIP format? Not everyone can open .7z.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version