ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: JottiQ

<< < (22/40) > >>

worstje:
I hope so. It is mostly up to him - he is a busy person and I have zero access/say in his actual matters. I offered up a few alternatives for things I can change but right now it is just a matter of NANY 2011 catching the highlights and tons of people trying out JottiQ.

JottiQ was always meant for a bit of a poweruser in my eyes, to check over those few files your own AV package considered to be OK yet you still didn't trust. In case Jotti and in a lesser amount me are not able to find a satisfactory solution, I hope JottiQ simply falls out of favor... but well, let's just say I hope for the best but am secretly preparing for the worst case scenario.

Ath:
Or you can rename JottiQ to VirusTotalQ, that would make a nice (and probably quick) NANY2012 pledge :P

mouser:
I surmise that the developer of Jotti will recognize the increased usefulness his program can provide in conjunction with JottiQ, and will likely be willing to work something out with you that will throttle the load.
--- End quote ---

I expect and hope so too.

One thing JottiQ could do is insert a delay between uploading files, and a check of the jotti server status that increases that delay when the server is busy.

This really seems like a simple and full solution to the problem, even if its not ideal in the sense of making people wait longer than they should have to wait if the jotti service was a bit more sophisticated.

worstje:
Or to quote an older Dutch ad pay-off "Het waren 2 geweldige dagen" (It where 2 fabulous days) :-*
-Ath (January 04, 2011, 05:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

More than fabulous if you ask me. :)

I get a feeling this grew indeed a bit bigger than anyone, mostly Jotti IMHO, could have imagined, so he will probably have to restructure his service (or fix bugs in the Hash search, as that doesn't really seem to work), or get a bigger sponsor :D
Lest just pray he gets his act together, and JottiQ can provide it's useful service to the public again :Thmbsup:
--- End quote ---

I am not sure if the hash service is broken at present. For as far I can tell, he totally disabled the entire API at present, or at least for JottiQ's API credentials. I don't blame him - it's the simplest solution.

The current errormessage of 'Jotti only supports files upto 0,00 B.' just says it all, I guess, maybe a next version of JottiQ should say 'Service temporarily unavailable' or something in that order? (But it shouldn't be needed I hope)
--- End quote ---

It is ironic but true. The 0 bytes thing is what happens when the maximum file size cannot be retrieved, and in this case, it gives a strangely suitable message.

Or you can rename JottiQ to VirusTotalQ, that would make a nice (and probably quick) NANY2012 pledge :P
-Ath (January 04, 2011, 05:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have considered such a thing, actually. Supporting both services in one app might be nice, but I'd have to check up on VirusTotal, their requirements and all that other jazz. That and it would imply a fairly big huge architectural change.

worstje:
One thing JottiQ could do is insert a delay between uploading files, and a check of the jotti server status that increases that delay when the server is busy.

This really seems like a simple and full solution to the problem, even if its not ideal in the sense of making people wait longer than they should have to wait if the jotti service was a bit more sophisticated.
-mouser (January 04, 2011, 05:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

There already is throttling. The problem isn't in people uploading a lot of stuff, it is in many people uploading stuff. Delays and all that sort won't change that. Suppose 500 people scan a single file. They all get allowed through. And that is what is clogging Jotti like mad right now. Everyone is downloading JottiQ, and everyone is throwing multiple files at it so by the time one file finally gets done the same person adds something new (although that should have gotten throttled by now.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version