ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: JottiQ

<< < (18/40) > >>

Bamse:
If blinded by polishing I think you will find that program is begging to be announced on security forums once you are done, like Wilders for example.

I just stumbled over program so have no other input - other than perhaps you should have a confirmation box for the "Adds the executables of currently running processes to the queue" Is a hefty task for Jotti and much "Avaiting processing" ;) Cool feature though but should probably not be used without real intentions. No way to stop it once it sets off. Can delete individual entries I guess but a big task anyway - a "Are you sure?" box would be fine.

Good competition for VirusTotal  :D

mouser:
This is definitely one of my favorite NANY entries this year.. really awesome.  :up:

worstje:
If blinded by polishing I think you will find that program is begging to be announced on security forums once you are done, like Wilders for example.
-Bamse (January 01, 2011, 02:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

If anything, I think Jotti's malware scan itself deserves the bigger praise. I only made the outside shell. :)

I just stumbled over program so have no other input - other than perhaps you should have a confirmation box for the "Adds the executables of currently running processes to the queue" Is a hefty task for Jotti and much "Avaiting processing" ;) Cool feature though but should probably not be used without real intentions. No way to stop it once it sets off. Can delete individual entries I guess but a big task anyway - a "Are you sure?" box would be fine.
--- End quote ---

Duly noted. I didn't originally intend to add the processes feature in the first place - I am afraid it will detract from its primary purpose to investigate specific objects. The more easily one adds things, the more likely one is to throw his/her entire PC over the internet. (Slow as a process as the throttling might make it, it is still a form of abuse that is very easy to achieve.)

Once I am done bugfixing the current release and aiming towards a v1.1 or thereabouts, I'll look into adding a progress window. I intended to add it at one point, but the delay wasn't all that noticeable to me originally. Not enough to make me feel the urge to throw a dialog up, anyhow. :)

Good competition for VirusTotal  :D
--- End quote ---

I do not know VirusTotal at all, so I can't really comment. However, you did remind me of something else I feel needs mentioning.

The ability to add processes is severely limited in its current form. It only adds processes you have access to inspect, and far less than you might expect if you are for example used to using Process Explorer. It doesn't add the svchost.exe, nor lsass.exe, nor other things running as a service or otherwisely out of JottiQ's reach. (I intend to find out why though - PE seems to have no issues divining the executable of a process without needing to be elevated.)

To boot, one needs to remember that JottiQ _only_ adds the executable of the process, and that a process can be malicious even if its executable is completely harmless. svchost.exe is a good example of that - it is a Windows component that runs services, and those can very well be malicious in nature.

All in all, thank you for posting. I am glad someone else sees the purpose and usefulness of JottiQ. :)

worstje:
This is definitely one of my favorite NANY entries this year.. really awesome.  :up:
-mouser (January 01, 2011, 03:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

And you, stop it. One of these days you're going to make me blush in front of all of DoCo and its visitors. :-[

Bamse:
I don't know if Virustotal was the first of this type of service but it is the most popular. Does the same as Jotti but in a more slick packing. Also has upload tools http://www.virustotal.com/advanced.html I think yours will have more direct appeal to usage being a real application.

If you throw your self at security forums at some point be sure to mention dependencies, auto-download during installation. Harmless details like that can make some people go crazy in a non-productive way ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version