ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Email Server Frustration -- Looking for Advice

(1/6) > >>

Renegade:
This post is basically for administrators and not end users.

Well, I'm fed up with my current email server software and looking for some new email server software.

I've been trying to find a good combination of:

* Email server software
* Antivirus software
* Antispam software

But, I'm running a Windows machine, and there's just crap out there unless I want to spend a fortune, which I don't. I'd like to get some decent software for a reasonable price or free. I'm not interested in Johnny's garage software though. I'm only interested in well established software with a track record that I can rely on.

I will be installing VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) in order to have a Linux server running on the same machine.

Can anyone recommend a combination of:

* Linux distribution (Preferably one that's already in the VMware catalog if possible, or maybe ThoughtPolice.)
* Email server software (Postfix, Zimba, etc.)
* Antivirus software
* Antispam software (hopefully not a "per user" license. Spamassassin?)
* Webmail interface for email server (e.g. Zimba, SquirrelMail, etc.)

At the end of the day, I want to get things running properly

I will also likely end up running a limited set of websites on it, so lighttpd and Apache will also be important later on, but not crucial now.

If you have personal experience, please say so. Also, if you've done virtualization before in production environments (not desktop), please say so.

I had a look at Spamassassin, and it's simply not worth the trouble on Windows. The installation and configuration for it is nothing short of Black Magic. I'm open to a Linux version if I can get it to work without sacrificing virgins and children to the devil.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

skwire:
Which daemons have you tried on Windows?

Renegade:
I've used a few. Currently using Argosoft. I used to use Mercury32.

skwire:
I used to use Argosoft many years ago before switching to a paid version of mDaemon.  Have you tried hMailServer?  It has SpamAssassin integrated.  I've never tried it myself...just throwing a bone out there.

Renegade:
I used to use Argosoft many years ago before switching to a paid version of mDaemon.  Have you tried hMailServer?  It has SpamAssassin integrated.  I've never tried it myself...just throwing a bone out there.
-skwire (November 21, 2010, 10:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm actually switching to hMailServer now. Going over antispam stuff at the moment...

I think I'm out of time. I fly out in a few days, and need to do a ton of stuff.

I looked into the VMware stuff more... I'd have to wipe the server entirely. I thought it was more like the desktop version. Oops. So, I think I'll end up trying to get Spamassassin working in a month or so.

The thing is that hMailServer requires you to install and configure Spamassassin, and SA is nothing short of Black Magic. You have to fart around in Perl and make crap and sacrifice children... It's a non-ending process of self-mutilation. You lose a bit of your soul in doing so...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version