ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Small Linux kernal patch = big improvement in desktop experience

(1/4) > >>

40hz:

Just in time for the Holidays - this news from the folks over at Phoronix.com (emphasis added):

The ~200 Line Linux Kernel Patch That Does Wonders

Published on November 16, 2010
Written by Michael Larabe

In recent weeks and months there has been quite a bit of work towards improving the responsiveness of the Linux desktop with some very significant milestones building up recently and new patches continuing to come. This work is greatly improving the experience of the Linux desktop when the computer is withstanding a great deal of CPU load and memory strain. Fortunately, the exciting improvements are far from over. There is a new patch that has not yet been merged but has undergone a few revisions over the past several weeks and it is quite small -- just over 200 lines of code -- but it does wonders for the Linux desktop.

The patch being talked about is designed to automatically create task groups per TTY in an effort to improve the desktop interactivity under system strain. Mike Galbraith wrote the patch, which is currently in its third version in recent weeks, after Linus Torvalds inspired this idea. In its third form (patch), this patch only adds 224 lines of code to the kernel's scheduler while stripping away nine lines of code, thus only 233 lines of code are in play.

Tests done by Mike show the maximum latency dropping by over ten times and the average latency of the desktop by about 60 times. Linus Torvalds has already heavily praised (in an email) this miracle patch

-more-

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2637_video&num=1

--- End quote ---

Phoronix has a couple of (badly produced) quick & dirty vids to give you an idea of what this performance boost will look like.

----------

If you'd like to give this patch a try, but don't feel like waiting until it's built into your distro (and aren't keen on hacking the kernal yourself) an alternative method can be found here.

Alternative To The "200 Lines Kernel Patch That Does Wonders" Which You Can Use Right Away

Phoronix recently published an article regarding a ~200 lines Linux Kernel patch that improves responsiveness under system strain. Well, Lennart Poettering, a RedHat developer replied to Linus Torvalds on a maling list with an alternative to this patch that does the same thing yet all you have to do is run 2 commands and paste 4 lines in your ~/.bashrc file. I know it sounds unbelievable, but apparently someone even ran some tests which prove that Lennart's solution works. Read on!

Basically, Lennart explains you have to add this to your ~/.bashrc file (important: this won't work on Ubuntu. See instructions for Ubuntu further down the post!)
--- End quote ---

This is something I'm definitely going to try as soon as I can get some free time!  :Thmbsup:

Has anybody else given it a shot, either by patching the kernal, or using the alternative "install"?

8)

Deozaan:
My wife just walked into the room while I was reading this post and saw this:

Phoronix has a couple of (badly produced) quick & dirty vids to give you an idea of what this performance boost will look like.-40hz (November 21, 2010, 05:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Her: "Quick and dirty videos?" in a tone of disgust.

Me: "It's not what you think! 'Quick and dirty' is a phrase that means hastily put together!"

Her: "It better be!"

Thanks for getting me in trouble, 40hz! Next time mark the thread NSFW! Not Safe For Wives! Pretty funny how that sentence could be interpreted as a euphemism when taken out of context.

;D :D :P

Oh, and that kernel patch sure sounds interesting. I'll probably wait until it comes built in before I try it though.

40hz:
@Deo: Sorry man! I forgot how lucky I am...  ;D

===

Her: Quick & Dirty huh? Lemme see...

Me: Oh it's not like that. It just means "done fast."

Her: Oh really?

(BEAT)

What a shame...

---

At which point she flashes me one of her patented "over the shoulder" smiles as she gracefully drifts out of the room...

===

Some people are amazed how long we've both been together.

I'm not.

:) ;)

Stoic Joker:

I'm not.
-40hz (November 22, 2010, 10:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

...and for that I applaud you!

(The wife and I will have been married 19 years in December)

40hz:

I'm not.
-40hz (November 22, 2010, 10:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

...and for that I applaud you!

(The wife and I will have been married 19 years in December)
-Stoic Joker (November 22, 2010, 11:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
No applause necessary. For once in my life I got something I truly wanted.

Hats off to you and yours too! 19 is a good number. Looks like the two of you have got it down cold. Keep up the good work!

:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version