ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

Preparing for a new master DonationCoder server

<< < (3/7) > >>

Gothi[c]:
vSphere is pretty expensive.
We are using ESXi, which is free.

Rover:
The nice thing about VM's is they are so portable, replaceable, etc. 

If you run on VMware primarily, you can keep an EC2 image for backup. 

1) Set up all of your VM's so everything is working nice
2) Save copies of the VMs as EC2 VM's
3) Do regular data backups and keep it safe
4) update your EC2 copies as you make significant change to your VM

DR Solution:
1) Create new EC2 accounts as needed.
2) Put your Back EC2 VMs on the account
3) Restore data
4) Begin taking backups from EC2 systems

You should then have a work solution with relatively recent data.

Recovery:
1) Spin up your VM's (You backed them up, right?)
2) Restore data
3) Stop EC2 Accounts
4) Start going backups again

Just my  :two:

Migrating from VMware to EC2

steeladept:
Rover beat me to it, but I would look at more than EC2.  Since you already are planning on ESXi as your basis, there are A LOT of cloud providers that can provide temporary DR/HA capabilities for a price.  I don't know details (never needed to research it before) but I know that is one of the selling points for the cloud.  And in almost every case, they do this by leveraging VMware.  There are a few exceptions - Microsoft's Hyper-V is used by a few vendors, for example, but by and large you can copy and drop your entire environment to their service to accomplish these capabilities at a fraction of the cost.  I have even heard of companies who complete a real world, proven, DR plan in minutes because they have an off-site SAN replicated in real-time (or near real-time) that provides the VM data to remote machines.  Granted they still pay a lot, for VMware ESX if nothing else, but it is possible.

I am just saying that if you are looking at DR (backup) and HA-like abilities, and since you are already talking ESXi as your platform, consider looking into a hosted service option as your temporary site if/when you need to implement these features.

mouser:
Gothic has been hard at work configuring the new server.. and that's exciting even though it may not appear very different once we switch over to it.

But it seems to me that it might be time for a re-imagining of the DonationCoder.com website.

I'm not talking about the forum itself, i'm talking about the rest of the static pages on the site, which are currently static html.

I'm thinking we might move to a proper CMS.

Should we have a little redesign competition to see what ideas people can come up with for the new look?

Ashraf:
Mouser,

Out of curiosity what are the specs on the new sever, aside from the CPU? How much bandwidth are you getting from SL?

In regards to CMS, I would say go Wordpress (even though it isn't officially a CMS) but Wordpress doesn't integrate that well with Simple Machines AFAIK.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version