ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

Preparing for a new master DonationCoder server

<< < (5/7) > >>

mouser:
So it costs roughly $400/month to run the dc servers
--- End quote ---

Yep.  actually about $500 a month when you include server administration costs.. which let's us give gothic (DC server admin) some money for taking such good care of the servers, installing stuff, setting up new servers and user accounts, updating software and watching for security issues, and most importantly be available when something goes really wrong.

The important thing to say is that it's only because people continue to support the site with their donations that we are able to afford these servers, which keep the site fast and allow us to provide web space for member coders, etc.  Some of you may remember the days in 2005 when we were on a $20/month shared hosting server and things could get SLLOOOWWWW...  Thankfully those days are long gone.

So once again thank you to all who have donated and whose donations make the site possible  :up:

superboyac:
It's amazing that this runs on donations.  I just keep thinking about people making so much money for doing so much less.  Ahhh....

mouser:
Well we are going to have to have another fundraiser very soon, so everyone set aside a few bucks for DC please!

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion..

rgdot:
Keep up the great work, a bit that I can afford will be sent soon-ish (don't ask what soon-ish means  :P )

mouser:
Rover, can you explain a bit more about EC2 -- i couldn't really figure out what it was about from searching the web -- specifically how it relates to vmware.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version