topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 5:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Still holding out, won't join Facebook  (Read 21307 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Still holding out, won't join Facebook
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 06:19 PM »
I just realized that I'll be off Facebook for a month while I'm in Vietnam... Blocked there. At least they know that they're not really free though. :P
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2010, 12:15 PM »
I'm on FB, but I only check it like ... maybe once a week, if I'm not very busy that week.  Or, if my wife says, "Did you see [insert topic/person] on Facebook?"

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2010, 05:39 PM »
..., I think he always resented being almost forced to use something he didn't believe in  just to stay in touch with people he knew and loved.

I'm kinda in the same spot with things like Facebook and Twitter.

I was talked into getting on facebook, and is  s l o w l y  understanding that I will *need* to stay active on facebook if I want to stay in touch with our youngster's upbringing. On facebook, they can say nothing to more people, faster and cheaper. I have tried to say something myself, but no-one heard it. As an example, I was robbed in my home in broad daylight. I told about it on facebook but didn't get a single reply. Why? Probably because I posted around midday, so when they all came home from school or work, my post was on page 2 or 3 or whatever. The experience made me lose the last hint of hope for the future... haha. But I still need facebook, to stay updated on the kids.

Edited:
On a related matter:

2010-09-30.gif

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 01:30 AM by Curt »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2010, 11:36 AM »
Margaret and Helen might have something to say about that. Here's their take on the holidays:
http://margaretandhe...-to-the-family-2010/
In a year when we almost lost your Grandpa Harold, I would expect each and every one of you to make the effort to be here this year.  If only for a few minutes. I’ll make an exception for anyone who lives more than three hours away.  Now that is what I expect, but clearly not what I will get.  So be warned. At Christmas time what you expect to find under the tree is clearly not what you will get.  I love you.  Really I do.  I don’t expect you to visit often, but I do expect the holidays. And I don’t think that is too much to expect.

For those of you who are coming – from this point forward known as my favorite family members – here are the house rules.  Your following them will make for an unforgettable meal filled with laughter and bacon.

• If it jiggles, slap a girdle on it or leave it at home.  I am not kidding Cloe.  One step inside my door with anything made from Jello and it will be your last step.  I have about 50 pounds on you so don’t test me.
  • Rhonda.  My house.  Your pets.  Never the twain shall meet.
  • Mary.  My sofa.  Your kid’s feet.  Never the twain shall meet.
  • I have banned cans of soda.  Two liter bottles of soda only.  I am tired of throwing away half full cans of soda.  If you are two young to lift a 2 liter bottle of soda to fill a glass, you are too young to be drinking soda un-supervised.
  • At age 84 and 11 months, I have had my picture taken more than enough times to fill any memory photo album.  The digital era has made it too easy to take way too many useless pictures.  Point one camera in my direction this year and I can promise you that your camera will be used to stuff something other than the turkey.  When I am gone, feel free to remember me with pictures from my best year – 1962.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2010, 11:46 AM »
That letter is AWESOME, Zaine! Thank you for linking to it... Very apropos  ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2010, 12:22 PM »
A nice link that explains one of the *big* problems with FB from a social contract perspective.

http://www.wired.com...azine/16-11/pl_brown

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2010, 09:34 PM »
On the Facebook/social media topic, I can't help but think about this thread. Some of the links in there talk about sites being censored and how social media helped to spread the word about it. (I don't mean the piracy sites -- I mean the ones that were simply censored because someone didn't like what they were saying (in the UK even).)

While Facebook and the like may not be for everyone, it certainly seems to serve the best interests of the public sometimes when it lets people communicate so quickly about things.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2010, 10:15 PM »
Margaret and Helen might have something to say about that. Here's their take on the holidays:

I have to say, after reading some of her posts, you people over in the US of A really do have the wrong person running as President :P

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 02:11 PM »
Quoting IT'S NOT YOUR DATA NOW, by Daniel Lyons, in Newsweek, November 29, 2010, page 14:

Facebook has rounded up 500 million people and intends to generate billions of dollars in revenue by gathering data about them and selling it to advertisers.

(I think someone on DC has already said the same thing, but I can't quickly find their post)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 03:03 PM »
A nice link that explains one of the *big* problems with FB from a social contract perspective.

Guy's got a point there; I actually feel better about not having a FB account after reading the article. I don't want the friends I have being dehumanized by a media machine.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 09:01 PM »
I have to say, after reading some of her posts, you people over in the US of A really do have the wrong person running as President :P

I completely agree!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2010, 09:38 AM »
Margaret & Helen link is super Zaine :up:

unrelated,
on Dilbert today:

107165.strip.gif
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2010, 12:53 PM »

I dunno. I don't have a problem removing friends. I've done it before. And there are plenty that I've hidden their status updates from showing up in my feed or whatever it's called.

But I'm one of the people that still claims to not "get" social network websites. I do have Twitter and Facebook accounts. I find I post more on Twitter than on Facebook, probably because I have different "friends" on that account. Also, my Twitter is relatively anonymous, whereas Facebook has my real name and real-life friends/acquaintances.

But Twitter has its own problems.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Here's an article about current scams prevalently being perpetrated on FB.

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member