ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Still holding out, won't join Facebook

<< < (3/8) > >>

phitsc:
I'm not using Facebook or Twitter, although I can see some value in having an easy way of letting a *selected* group of people know about certain stuff I'm doing. But there's the problem, the selection depends on the context. Not everyone needs to know (or should know) everything. Well, passing on information selectively might already be possible with Facebook, I wouldn't even know. What I hate is that all the newer mobile phones come with special Facebook and Twitter clients which I have no use for ;)

I have a similar problem with public forums like this one though. I sometimes wish I could discuss certain things with a selected group of people instead of with the whole world.

Renegade:
I only add people that I know, or family friends that know me, or something like that. :)

I don't have a huge list of friends.

The biggest danger for me is that someone would be offended by one of my off the wall posts, and unfriend me. :)

Stoic Joker:
If I wanted to be social I wouldn't be sitting in front of this %$^#&*@! computer!
-4wd (November 18, 2010, 06:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
+1 FaceBook = No  :D

40hz:
I have a similar problem with public forums like this one though. I sometimes wish I could discuss certain things with a selected group of people instead of with the whole world.
-phitsc (November 19, 2010, 04:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Seems others are also feeling your pain.

Have you looked at Path? It's limited by design to only allow 50 friends to participate as an entity. Right now it's sort of a cross between Twitter and Flicker since there's a heavy emphasis on photo sharing/journaling. It will probably evolve as time goes on.

Still holding out, won't join Facebook

It's starting to be called "the anti-social network." Love it!  ;D

Some editorial write-ups here and here.

On a more personal note, I have no intention of using this service either.  :P

zridling:
Twitter I can tolerate, but that's because I can choose my level of engagement. I'm in, I'm out, or I can skip a month and no one notices or cares. I use it more like an RSS feed than for communication.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version