topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Still holding out, won't join Facebook  (Read 21198 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Still holding out, won't join Facebook
« on: November 18, 2010, 03:49 PM »
facebook.jpg

I just turned 49 last month and I've had a dozen of my old fart friends ask why I'm not on Facebook. Simple: I don't want to be on Facebook. I don't have anything interesting to share, and frankly, I don't have the time to futz around with another website, updates, requests, "Why aren't you friending me back?" and everything I hate about another medium, the phone. (I've talked on a phone less than a dozen times in the past two years, and most of those were to call my mom back.) My defense is always: I'm too busy, got too many projects going to stop and let everyone know that I:
  • Repaired a patch of sheetrock today
  • Got a letter from my aunt Ava
  • Ate dinner at a fancy restaurant (for me, that's the Tastee Freez)
  • Watched more TV
  • Played shopping cart chicken with an 84-year old bitty trying to intimidate me at Walmart (Get on your side of the aisle, bitch!)
  • Practiced sulking just in case I need that skill in an emergency
  • Had a good night's sleep, for a change
  • Shook my fist at a dog who wouldn't stop staring at me
  • Cussed at my football team
  • Cussed some more because it reminded me of how great a cusser my Dad was
  • Sang a childhood song that was nothing but cusswords
  • Drank some chocolate milk and ate white bread (oh what heaven!)
  • Emptied the trash
  • Wondered why that whenever I got to an empty burger joint, the next SOB who walks in the door just has to sit right next to me. I hate that!
  • Walked outside, farted, and breathed the fresh air (not necessarily in that order)
  • Noticed my neighbor used to be pretty; now she's gone to hell.
  • Meanwhile, how is it that the 93-year old bastard behind me can outwork me in the yard for seven straight months? Is he on HGH or something?

I'm just afraid if I get a Facebook page, everyone will see what a weirdo I really am. Anyone else not on Facebook for whatever reason?

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Still holding out, won't join Facebook
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 04:00 PM »
I'm totally with you.

I hate Facebook.
I hate Twitter.
I hate Myspace.
I hate LiveJournal.
I hate my phone.
I hate email, too.
I kinda hate Skype also.

Just give me my beloved Miranda IM, and I'm set. It does all I want communication-wise.

World, this is a message to you. Don't waste my time with trivial crap please. Thank you.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 04:23 PM »
I'm not on Facebook and don't want or intend to be.  But, my local library has reading groups and a library support group on Facebook, probably because that's the only host system the people involved knew.  If I did want to join those groups, well, Facebook is where they are.

One of my cousins has a Facebook page.  Since I had e-mail contact with him, that e-mail address has had more spam.  I'm sure those facts are connected.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 05:18 PM »
I'm not on Facebook either. And I have no plans to do so.

Maybe we should start a support group.  :P

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 05:30 PM »
I definitely not in the same boat.

Then again, measuring the distance between where I am and where my friends are can be rounded to the nearest 1,000 km and still be close enough.

I love Facebook.
I'm on Twitter, but don't use it a lot.
I bought a top of the line phone, but hate talking on it. It's really just for development when I get around to it.
I love Skype. It's better than talking on the phone as I don't need to hold something pressed against my face. I just talked to my sister on Skype. She's half way around the world in a desert that I have no interest in visiting. I use Skype to talk to a friends that I do business with. I avoid long distance charges when calling North America, which makes support phone calls to my IDC dirt cheap. Especially as Australian telcos charge far more for far less than anyone else.

Facebook is great because the amount of time it takes to keep up with people is nothing. It's a time saver. I keep in contact with all kinds of people that I wouldn't be able to otherwise. I just don't have enough to say to email a lot of people. A quick post or comment is all that is needed.

But a support site for people that are averse to Facebook might be a good idea. kissmyassbook.com? :P Hey, it's at the other *end* of the spectrum. :D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 06:19 PM »
I'm totally with you.

I hate Facebook.
I hate Twitter.
I hate Myspace.
I hate LiveJournal.
I hate my phone.
I hate email, too.
I kinda hate Skype also.

Just give me my beloved Miranda IM, and I'm set. It does all I want communication-wise.

World, this is a message to you. Don't waste my time with trivial crap please. Thank you.

+20 except:
I hate IM - FFS, I don't want some stupid little window popping up in the middle of CoD:BO and causing me to die under a hail of lead!

And email is kinda OK as long as you don't expect a reply.

If I wanted to be social I wouldn't be sitting in front of this %$^#&*@! computer!

Oh you complete b$%#&@^!  Now I have to go cleanse my brain at:

NSFW (unless you're a mechanic in a garage)

It's really just for development when I get around to it.

Here ya go:
A Round Tuit.jpgStill holding out, won't join Facebook

I don't use it anymore ;)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 06:27 PM by 4wd »

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 06:35 PM »
It's really just for development when I get around to it.

Here ya go: (see attachment in previous post)
I don't use it anymore ;)

wtf, first time i clicked the image, instead of resizing, i got this:

Orientation of image:  1
File changed date and time:  2008:05:18 12:54:16
Image input equipment manufacturer:  LEICA
Image input equipment model:  D-LUX 3
Software used:  Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0
Exposure time:  0.005
F number:  4
Exposure program:  2
ISO speed rating:  100
Exposure bias:  0.33
Maximum lens aperture:  3
Metering mode:  5
Light source:  0
Flash:  16
Lens focal length:  6.3
Sensing method:  2
Custom rendered:  0
Exposure mode:  0
White balance:  0
Digital zoom ratio:  0
Focal length, 35 mm equivalent:  32
Scene capture type:  0
Gain control:  0
Contrast:  0
Saturation:  0
Sharpness:  0

:huh:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 06:37 PM »

Here it just got bigger.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 06:50 PM »

Here it just got bigger.

God knows, I think my browser went crazy for a moment, after all, my entire pc feels like its like running on backup power...

hamster.gif

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 01:24 AM »
I use facebook. Here is what I use it for:

Once a month I log on and check the security and privacy settings to see what features they have added in the meantime with defaults to allow anyone access to anything, and switch all I can find over to only me or only friends.

With the settings being scattered over various pages and in submenus and popup windows, this is a nice way for me to procrastinate doing something useful for at least 15 minutes, which is the main benefit I have from using facebook :D.

I understand they are adding e-mail now .. the mind boggles.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 01:27 AM by Jibz »

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 04:53 AM »
I'm not using Facebook or Twitter, although I can see some value in having an easy way of letting a *selected* group of people know about certain stuff I'm doing. But there's the problem, the selection depends on the context. Not everyone needs to know (or should know) everything. Well, passing on information selectively might already be possible with Facebook, I wouldn't even know. What I hate is that all the newer mobile phones come with special Facebook and Twitter clients which I have no use for ;)

I have a similar problem with public forums like this one though. I sometimes wish I could discuss certain things with a selected group of people instead of with the whole world.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 05:02 AM »
I only add people that I know, or family friends that know me, or something like that. :)

I don't have a huge list of friends.

The biggest danger for me is that someone would be offended by one of my off the wall posts, and unfriend me. :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 06:04 AM »
If I wanted to be social I wouldn't be sitting in front of this %$^#&*@! computer!
+1 FaceBook = No  :D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 08:30 AM »
I have a similar problem with public forums like this one though. I sometimes wish I could discuss certain things with a selected group of people instead of with the whole world.

Seems others are also feeling your pain.

Have you looked at Path? It's limited by design to only allow 50 friends to participate as an entity. Right now it's sort of a cross between Twitter and Flicker since there's a heavy emphasis on photo sharing/journaling. It will probably evolve as time goes on.

logo.pngStill holding out, won't join Facebook

It's starting to be called "the anti-social network." Love it!  ;D

Some editorial write-ups here and here.

On a more personal note, I have no intention of using this service either.  :P
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:32 AM by 40hz »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 03:40 AM »
Twitter I can tolerate, but that's because I can choose my level of engagement. I'm in, I'm out, or I can skip a month and no one notices or cares. I use it more like an RSS feed than for communication.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 04:35 AM »
Twitter I can tolerate, but that's because I can choose my level of engagement. I'm in, I'm out, or I can skip a month and no one notices or cares. I use it more like an RSS feed than for communication.

You can do the same thing with FB. Don't post. Just check what people are up to. I've got a few friends that do that. I basically never see them online there.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 09:21 AM »
Here it just got bigger.

Every man's dream...

I have a Facebook account but rarely use it. I find it rather invasive. Now that I have a Smartphone (smarter than me, anyway), I can appreciate why people like it - at a glance I can see what various friends are up to... However, I'm not interested in telling the world what I'M up to! I've suspended the account mulitple times because I never use it but wife, friends and family all pester me about it. Easier to just leave it up and do nothing with it. I think that the current generation will grow up to rue the day that Facebook and MySpace offered them the blue pill.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 10:14 AM »
I've suspended the account mulitple times because I never use it but wife, friends and family all pester me about it. Easier to just leave it up and do nothing with it.

In the end, I think we're all going to have to reach some sort of personal accommodation with social media unless we want to be fully isolated from what most of our friends and family are doing.

Probably a generational thing too. My great-grandfather disliked telephones because he felt they were intrusive. He likened them persons who banged on his front door anytime they wanted to ask him something rather than do the polite thing and wait till they saw him in public; or better yet, sent him a letter he could reflect on and respond to at his own convenience.

Didn't stop him from getting a phone. Or using it. He wasn't a Luddite. Like most of his generation, he remained a firm believer in the dream of human progress right up until his dying day. But somehow, deep down inside, I think he always resented being almost forced to use something he didn't believe in just to stay in touch with people he knew and loved.

I'm kinda in the same spot with things like Facebook and Twitter.

I'm sure I'll "get it" eventually.

And I'm sure I'll eventually "get over it" too.

(Just not today!  :P)

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 01:01 PM by 40hz »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 07:36 PM »
Probably a generational thing too. My great-grandfather disliked telephones because he felt they were intrusive. He likened them persons who banged on his front door anytime they wanted to ask him something rather than do the polite thing and wait till they saw him in public; or better yet, sent him a letter he could reflect on and respond to at his own convenience.

Good on him!

Phones are intrusive - that's why they make noises demanding attention.

AFAIAC, the only people who don't find them intrusive are either business people who depend on them or people suffering from ADS, (the constant need to SMS included).

The only time our phone rings is when someone wants something, until then everyone's happy to wait until we get together or email.  This means there is more to talk about face-to-face instead of everyone sitting around wondering what to do since they all discussed what bowel movements they had the previous morning via "social media".

I have the same outlook towards "social media" as your ancestor and with any luck I'll never get over it.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 11:27 PM »

Good on him!

Phones are intrusive - that's why they make noises demanding attention.

AFAIAC, the only people who don't find them intrusive are either business people who depend on them or people suffering from ADS, (the constant need to SMS included).

The only time our phone rings is when someone wants something, until then everyone's happy to wait until we get together or email.  This means there is more to talk about face-to-face instead of everyone sitting around wondering what to do since they all discussed what bowel movements they had the previous morning via "social media".

I have the same outlook towards "social media" as your ancestor and with any luck I'll never get over it.

You allow your phone to ring?  I keep my cell on vibrate, and my phone only rings for certain people.  Others I get back to when I have the time.  When my wife is at home, it's a different thing... but for my purposes, it might as well not be there.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 11:31 PM »
You allow your phone to ring?  I keep my cell on vibrate, and my phone only rings for certain people.  Others I get back to when I have the time.  When my wife is at home, it's a different thing... but for my purposes, it might as well not be there.

It's a bit hard to get the phone to vibrate, it's attached to the wall.....I have to wait for an earthquake.

I have a mobile - it's on all the time, (although hardly ever carried), and that's just to receive calls from the property manager.  My wife has a mobile, it's turned on when she wants to make an outgoing emergency call, (car broke down, etc), at all other times it's off.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 10:42 AM »
You allow your phone to ring?  I keep my cell on vibrate, and my phone only rings for certain people.  Others I get back to when I have the time.  When my wife is at home, it's a different thing... but for my purposes, it might as well not be there.

It's a bit hard to get the phone to vibrate, it's attached to the wall.....I have to wait for an earthquake.

I have a mobile - it's on all the time, (although hardly ever carried), and that's just to receive calls from the property manager.  My wife has a mobile, it's turned on when she wants to make an outgoing emergency call, (car broke down, etc), at all other times it's off.

That's why I use google voice.  When I am the only person at home, that's the only way to get the phone to ring if you're not on my ring list.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 05:31 PM »
I think that the current generation will grow up to rue the day that Facebook and MySpace offered them the blue pill.

Great line, Darwin! One of the Facebook VP's was on TV today talking about how, "Don't like getting gate-raped by the TSA? Keep in contact with your family and friends through Facebook this holiday season!"

Still, I might be tempted to go in for a fondling. (Where the hell is Chris Hansen and his cameras?!)  ;D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 05:35 PM »
I think that the current generation will grow up to rue the day that Facebook and MySpace offered them the blue pill.

Great line, Darwin! One of the Facebook VP's was on TV today talking about how, "Don't like getting gate-raped by the TSA? Keep in contact with your family and friends through Facebook this holiday season!"

Still, I might be tempted to go in for a fondling. (Where the hell is Chris Hansen and his cameras?!)  ;D

Bwahahahahaha~! That's awesome~! I love it!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 06:14 PM »
(Where the hell is Chris Hansen and his cameras?!)

I'd guess that if Chris Hansen made a habit of recording TSA agents in action, both he and his camera would likely be found in police custody shortly afterwards.  :P

This is America folks! Welcome to the 'free world.'  ;)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 06:16 PM by 40hz »