ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Still holding out, won't join Facebook

(1/8) > >>

zridling:

I just turned 49 last month and I've had a dozen of my old fart friends ask why I'm not on Facebook. Simple: I don't want to be on Facebook. I don't have anything interesting to share, and frankly, I don't have the time to futz around with another website, updates, requests, "Why aren't you friending me back?" and everything I hate about another medium, the phone. (I've talked on a phone less than a dozen times in the past two years, and most of those were to call my mom back.) My defense is always: I'm too busy, got too many projects going to stop and let everyone know that I:

* Repaired a patch of sheetrock today
* Got a letter from my aunt Ava
* Ate dinner at a fancy restaurant (for me, that's the Tastee Freez)
* Watched more TV
* Played shopping cart chicken with an 84-year old bitty trying to intimidate me at Walmart (Get on your side of the aisle, bitch!)
* Practiced sulking just in case I need that skill in an emergency
* Had a good night's sleep, for a change
* Shook my fist at a dog who wouldn't stop staring at me
* Cussed at my football team
* Cussed some more because it reminded me of how great a cusser my Dad was
* Sang a childhood song that was nothing but cusswords
* Drank some chocolate milk and ate white bread (oh what heaven!)
* Emptied the trash
* Wondered why that whenever I got to an empty burger joint, the next SOB who walks in the door just has to sit right next to me. I hate that!
* Walked outside, farted, and breathed the fresh air (not necessarily in that order)
* Noticed my neighbor used to be pretty; now she's gone to hell.
* Meanwhile, how is it that the 93-year old bastard behind me can outwork me in the yard for seven straight months? Is he on HGH or something?
I'm just afraid if I get a Facebook page, everyone will see what a weirdo I really am. Anyone else not on Facebook for whatever reason?

worstje:
I'm totally with you.

I hate Facebook.
I hate Twitter.
I hate Myspace.
I hate LiveJournal.
I hate my phone.
I hate email, too.
I kinda hate Skype also.

Just give me my beloved Miranda IM, and I'm set. It does all I want communication-wise.

World, this is a message to you. Don't waste my time with trivial crap please. Thank you.

rjbull:
I'm not on Facebook and don't want or intend to be.  But, my local library has reading groups and a library support group on Facebook, probably because that's the only host system the people involved knew.  If I did want to join those groups, well, Facebook is where they are.

One of my cousins has a Facebook page.  Since I had e-mail contact with him, that e-mail address has had more spam.  I'm sure those facts are connected.

40hz:
I'm not on Facebook either. And I have no plans to do so.

Maybe we should start a support group.  :P

Renegade:
I definitely not in the same boat.

Then again, measuring the distance between where I am and where my friends are can be rounded to the nearest 1,000 km and still be close enough.

I love Facebook.
I'm on Twitter, but don't use it a lot.
I bought a top of the line phone, but hate talking on it. It's really just for development when I get around to it.
I love Skype. It's better than talking on the phone as I don't need to hold something pressed against my face. I just talked to my sister on Skype. She's half way around the world in a desert that I have no interest in visiting. I use Skype to talk to a friends that I do business with. I avoid long distance charges when calling North America, which makes support phone calls to my IDC dirt cheap. Especially as Australian telcos charge far more for far less than anyone else.

Facebook is great because the amount of time it takes to keep up with people is nothing. It's a time saver. I keep in contact with all kinds of people that I wouldn't be able to otherwise. I just don't have enough to say to email a lot of people. A quick post or comment is all that is needed.

But a support site for people that are averse to Facebook might be a good idea. kissmyassbook.com? :P Hey, it's at the other *end* of the spectrum. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version