ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Backup Guide

Don't forget Syncback !!!!

<< < (3/3)

Armando:
I believe the easy solution to that problem is to use at least two types of backup :
1- Incremental
2- synchronization.

I do both ( + full backup… more about that later).
I use the incremental backups just in case a file was deleted by mistake (or corrupted) and I didn't notice (and the corrupted/deleted files got synchronized by mistake). So, this way, I have the best of both worlds : an easy way of recovering all the most current files, and an easy way of recovering single file problems which might have been duplicated during the synchronization process.

Syncback does support 'incremental' backups, such that only the files modified since the last backup are copied to the backup location.  However,  SyncBack does not really support versioned backups - they can be simulated using variables similar to environment variables to change the backup destination based on the date of the backup.

--- End quote ---

Yes : just use the variables. I use them to create a new little zip (with date + hour of the backup) file for everyday. Easy easy easy.

SyncBack's restore functionality does not know anything about the multiple possible backup destinations, so it does not automatically get the latest version of a file from the entire set of possible backup locations.  If you're doing a full restore, to get the latest files you have to restore from the oldest backup destination, the the next newest, etc. until you get to the newest backup destination.  To restore a single file, you have to look in the various backup locations to find the newest one.
--- End quote ---

But, like I said, the way to prevent that is to use : 1-synchronisation backups + 2-incremental backups. Actually, my strategy is to use
1- True image to do full backups,
2- SyncBackSE to synchronise files  that have been modified *since the last 14 days* (could be less or more, but that's the number I chose, but I use that so that the "synchronized" files don't uselessly take to much space on my backup drive : I’m not doing a full backup there…) 
3- use SyncBackSE to do small incremental backup up, compressed into zip files, to prevent corruption or single file deletion problems.

These Backups are of course done everyday and sent to different volumes.

So, in case of disaster, I restore :
1- my Acronis Trueimage backups
2- and then the current SyncBackup synchronized files.

AND in case of a "little disaster" (where, for example some files were deleted/corrupted by mistake, and where the synchronized backup logically also missed the deleted/corrupted file), I use the incremental backups. Easy easy easy.
Well... No?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version