ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Advice on portable dedicated GPS devices?

(1/3) > >>

superboyac:
Hi everyone, I'm looking into getting a portable GPS device.  I don't have a data plan on my cell phone (blackberry pearl), but I want GPS.  I was thinking of getting two things: the Garmin mobile app for my cell phone ($100), and a dedicated portable full size GPS device.  So I just wanted some advice on the devices available, what you guys think of them, which ones you prefer, etc.

My first point of confusion is regarding the Garmin high end and low end products.  The low end stuff is under $200.  The high end stuff is over $400.  What does the $400 really provide that is so much better?  I can't tell what that is.

Also, what is the verdict on Garmin vs. TomTom?  I don't want generalities.  I want specifics.  If there is some little feature that is particularly annoying, I want to know about it.  Those things usually make it or break it for me.  As usual, my primary focus is ease of use, speed (I hope these things aren't slow in response), nice interface.

Thanks!

cranioscopical:
My first point of confusion is regarding the Garmin high end and low end products.  The low end stuff is under $200.  The high end stuff is over $400.  What does the $400 really provide that is so much better?  I can't tell what that is.
-superboyac (November 17, 2010, 12:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
Almost nothing.

FWIW I've had a 5-inch Garmin nüvi 760 for some time and find it excellent

Were I to buy another today (I almost just did so) it would be the 1490W LMT, which is around $250CAD where I live.

L means lane assist
M means free map updates
T means free traffic info

I pefer a 5-inch unit to the smaller ones.

tomos:
Have you also seen the thread GPS Unit Recommendations?
(Tomtom get a slating there from Renegade*)

* EDIT/ lots of specifics on his blog lol
http://renegademinds.com/Home/Blog/tabid/60/EntryID/195/Default.aspx

superboyac:
Have you also seen the thread GPS Unit Recommendations?
(Tomtom get a slating there from Renegade*)

* EDIT/ lots of specifics on his blog lol
http://renegademinds.com/Home/Blog/tabid/60/EntryID/195/Default.aspx
-tomos (November 17, 2010, 03:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nice find!  (Thanks for not being snarky about it.  I'm bad about using search).  Those are two awesome links.

skwire:
I just bought my wife a Garmin nüvi 1450T for her birthday and she loves it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version