topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: iPod - tell me why I should buy one  (Read 32200 times)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: iPod - tell me why I should buy one
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2010, 10:54 PM »
While wandering around DX looking for more pointless stuff to buy, (actually I've been slowly replacing the MR16 halogens with LED versions), I stumbled upon this if you're still in the market for a PMP.

yes I'm still n the market (thanks for thinking of me)

not so sure about this item though, it seems somewhat bulkier than I would prefer, and the general consensus seemed to be that the battery life was lousy (I note also that it appears to come with a US charging adaptor which may be another issue)

on top of that I don't do paypal...   

many thanks :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2010, 02:56 AM »
While wandering around DX looking for more pointless stuff to buy, (actually I've been slowly replacing the MR16 halogens with LED versions), I stumbled upon this if you're still in the market for a PMP.

Zune 3" LCD 30GB Wifi Portable Digital Media Player with FM Tuner (Black) - US$58.01
 (see attachment in previous post)
Cheap enough if you want to try something a little more than a MP3 playing memory stick.

anyone know is Zune no longer available in Europe ?
I can only find accessories  :huh:
Tom

TheQwerty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2010, 06:18 AM »
anyone know is Zune no longer available in Europe ?
I can only find accessories  :huh:
I don't think they've ever sold the Zune outside of North America.

With Windows Phone 7 they finally expanded the Zune Pass and Marketplace internationally, so maybe the next revision of the Zune-line will also be available to the rest of the world.

not so sure about this item though, it seems somewhat bulkier than I would prefer, and the general consensus seemed to be that the battery life was lousy
It's a terribly dated device at this point. I own one which I still use and I get a day or two out of the battery.  By today's standards it is incredibly bulky however it's really no where near as bad as it appears in pictures.

Being so outdated I wouldn't recommended this, but it's not an awful purchase at that price.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2010, 08:42 AM »
tomos - the Zune disappeared from Canada a couple of years ago as well. We never even got the Zune HD. As TheQwerty notes, with WP 7 out - and dependant on the Zune software - we may see a return of the dedicated PMP. I imagine this is going to depend on how successful the phones are. As noted in other threads, MS is going to have to work to make the next version more than an MS version of the iPod Touch, though, if they want to compete with the iPod.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2010, 07:13 PM »
I recently heard that the iPhone 4 has even a better sound than the iPod does, so the question is: Why should anyone want to buy an iPod anyway?

PeterRossy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2010, 07:44 AM »
It is cool
It is popular
It has modern design
Apple is a good brand.
But still I think that HTC is much better.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2010, 08:15 AM »
Apple is a good brand.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

But still I think that HTC is much better.
So we're talking about smartphones then? Well, the Galaxy S is way better than all these HTC thingies will ever be with their tiny batteries.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2010, 09:01 AM »
I have an HTC thingie and love it  ;D

Battery life is not its strong suit, however... Having said that, and comparing apples to oranges. comparing both real world experiences (ie talking to people I know with different devices) and reading reviews, the battery life on any smartphone is not brilliant, period. It seems that they all require charging at least once a day. My own phone (HTC 7 Surround) gets better than a day of use out of a charge (this is mostly using it to check e-mail, read RSS feeds, and make/receive a few phone calls).

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2010, 09:04 AM »
Battery life is not its strong suit, however...
Battery life is one of the most important issues with smartphones, as they are made for mobility, right?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2010, 11:33 AM »
Battery life is one of the most important issues with smartphones, as they are made for mobility, right?

As with everything, it depends on the person.  Some people's definition of what is more important for mobility is the size.  Others, it is the ability to get things done.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2010, 11:38 AM »

No argument from me, but did you read the rest of my post? Admittedly, my writing is HORRIBLE but the point should still be clear that while the HTC Surround's battery life is not spectacular, none of the competition I've played with/read about/talked to other users about is significantly better (sample includes mostly Apple iPhone 4, Samsung Galaxy S). On the other hand, my wife's Blackberry Bold 9700 gets amazing battery life, but doesn't feature the power hungry large touch screen.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2010, 05:24 PM »
When I originally made this post I expected the apple fans to be crawling out of the woodwork to promote the favourite product, especially as Apple had been getting quite a caning in the forums

But what surprised me was that they didn't make an appearance (nary a one...)

I suppose that given the nature of the DC community this might have been a foregone conclusion though clearly one I hadn't anticipated.

And I'm still yet to be sold on an ipod (though of late it seems others have fallen to the sirens song...)