ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

My new favorite ftp client: Total Commander (yes, really)

(1/3) > >>

superboyac:
After years of not really having a preferred ftp client, I've realized that Total Commander is the best for me.  My ideal ftp client should act just like my regular file manager as much as possible.  I used to use Filezilla for the most part.  I liked Cuteftp for a while because it was feature rich.  The biggest obstacles are usually in the connection issues.  When the dc server was changed to a more secure kind of server a while back, not all ftp clients had the features to connect to it.  So it really limited the options available.  Surprisingly, TC was well equipped for it.  And I think we have someone here to thank for it (I forget who) but he made suggestions specifically for the dc server on the tc forums as well as the forum here.  Anyway, it works really well, and once connected, you pretty much can treat it like any other folder.  I love that.  DOpus also has ftp features, but I'm not sure if it can handle the security here.  And even if it does, I'd have to pay an extra few dollars for the added feature.  I should actually try that sometime, I know the standard ftp featureset can't do it.  But TC works really well.  Very cool!

40hz:
Hey Bro! +1!

I use NexusFile :-* in a similar manner when I'm in Windows. Got the portable version on my "field" usb key too.

There's times when you just can't beat a simple old-fashioned dual-pane file manager. Although t'was a time (not very long ago) when most FTP clients did look like one before they were "improved."  ;D

NexusFile has very nice support for FTP, although I don't know if it can address those security issues you mentioned.

So far (knock wood) it connects to everything I point it at. And it doesn't have a problem running under Windows 7. (Yay!) :Thmbsup:

J-Mac:
I use DOpus - it simply opens a pane in my two-pane UI and it works just like any other directory. Pretty sweet!

Jim

4wd:
I use DOpus - it simply opens a pane in my two-pane UI and it works just like any other directory. Pretty sweet!-J-Mac (November 16, 2010, 10:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

But I believe superboyac wants SFTP/SSH capability - with DOpus that costs an extra AU$10 per license.

J-Mac:
Hmm - came with mine back when I purchased it. Maybe it has changed?

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version