topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: BrotherGiveaway  (Read 7163 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
BrotherGiveaway
« on: November 16, 2010, 01:03 PM »
http://www.brothergiveaway.com/ Updated daily, Guaranteed Quality.

BG-3.jpg
BrotherGiveAway : A new Giveaway of the Day service from Brothersoft

We all love freebies right and Giveaway of the Day is not a stranger to many of you. Giveaway of the Day have given us many precious softwares for free. So did Softpedia, and recently Download.com has also started giving away freebies. Now, adding to the list of freebie givers, Brothersoft has launched a new Giveaway of the Day service called BrotherGiveAway.

BrotherGiveaway
BrotherGiveaway was started on 2nd November and till now they have given 7 softwares for free. So, people have started to notice the power of giveaways and how they’ll help expand their business. And that’s what we need. Come on people keep freebies rolling on and on….

Visit BrotherGiveaway now and grab today’s freebie: http://www.brothergiveaway.com/

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BrotherGiveaway
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 01:27 PM »
Ah, looks interesting. But all these freebie sites are dangerous for a software junkie. ;)

btw another site with freebies dottech hasn't been loading for me lately.  :(

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 01:27 PM »
Thanks, bookmarked this one  :)

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 02:24 PM »
Just a warning: The site is part of Brothersoft.com which has had some issues with offering programs that were known spyware/malware in the past.  I don't know what their current status is, but their reputation is not the best.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 02:32 PM »
I don't know what their current status is,

:tellme:

http://www.siteadvis...ites/brothersoft.com  green-xbg2.gif

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 03:29 PM »
Norton gives it a caution.

http://safeweb.norto...name=brothersoft.com

Wikipedia (I know, not the most reliable of sites...) says:

Brothersoft is known for distributing malware and spyware. Norton Safeweb has analyzed brothersoft.com for safety and security problems and concluded that the site is very unsafe and distributes many viruses, including Spyware.AIMSniffer, Spyware.MSNChatSniffer, Spyware.DataDoctorKey among numerous others. Many of the downloads promoted by the site contain adware, spyware and/or executable image exploits disguised as useful software. It has been listed as containing 43 pieces of malicious software.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Brothersoft.com

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 03:41 PM »
cthorpe, thanks for the heads up. Never hurts to be careful when downloading "freebies".

WOT Online reveals a mixed bag, with notable red indicators including "Malicious content, viruses".
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 03:43 PM by sajman99 »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 04:03 PM »
Don't get a false sense of security from the ratings of any download site. And don't get the idea that the bigger more popular ones with a not so stellar rating are inserting malware into known good software (a few people were afraid to download my software from Brothersoft based on a bad rating on the site for malware, thinking it meant that Brothersoft was deliberately infecting all the software they listed with crap, when that just wasn't true.)

There are very few PAD driven download sites on the internet that are 100% free of malware and spyware. Just like any other developers, malware/spyware makers submit PAD files to download sites and they get automatically added to the databases. Very few download sites go through the trouble of analyzing the software they list. I do not place any sort of trust in any of the download sites. I always research everything before downloading and scan it once it is downloaded, no matter what site it comes from.

Just do your homework for each app you are considering and you should be ok.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 06:09 PM »
Brothersoft is offering more than 200.000 files, mostly "Free Mobile Software & Games - Download Mobile Applications Free". You will have to search very very hard to ever find the two (2) files that Norton classified as keyloggers. Measured in risk percentage, Brothersoft is safe! Of course I cannot and will not promise that Brothersoft is all safe, but I believe they are trying to become/stay clean. The company is worth half a billion $, with 1 million visitors per day, and have 542.490 external links! And.. ehh.. >"It has been listed as containing 43 pieces of malicious software."<, just how old are those Wikipedia informations? Of course the two (2) files most likely were bad, and shame on Brothersoft for not finding and blocking them. But you are aware that several programs from DonationCoder have been classified as malware, right? Honestly: two (2) out of more than 200.000? It is such a microscopic percentage that it makes me think the Wikipedia article is over-exaggerating in an untrustworthy way, if you know what I mean.

2 out of 200.000 http://safeweb.norto...name=brothersoft.com

Edited:
WOT is hard to trust. People can say whatever they want without proving anything.

Edit#2: http://www.brothergiveaway.com/ is located in USA.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 06:25 PM by Curt »

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 12:46 PM »
I agree Curt. Given the size of the Brothersoft site, it's pretty much a given that somebody somewhere would encounter some type of problem.

But it's interesting how these web scanners (in the effort to help users) can cause major problems for sites. I mean, LinkScanner/Exploit Prevention Labs is going so far as to call Brothersoft a "Crack Server".
Description: XPL's Intelligence Network has identified this server as being a so-called 'Crack Server'. Crack Servers are servers that offer up tools and technologies that enable others to hack or crack into legitimate servers. Crack servers occasionally also serve up exploits. XPL recommends avoiding this web site.

Wow, that kind of characterization can be very damaging to a site. All this negative feedback from web scanners will cause some folks to avoid Brothersoft.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 01:03 PM »
-the scanners' accusation may have been right. But I believe ("want"?) today's Brothersoft to be different from yesterday's. I have the unprovable idea that they made their way to the top in a dodgy way, so to speak, but like the Corleone's they are now trying to become/stay clean. But many people are like bad coppers who say "once a thief, always a thief". I say, there are such things as repentance, and, taking a new course. Pardon my French! I have had no bad experiences with Brothersoft.

;)

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 01:23 PM »
...I have the unprovable idea that they made their way to the top in a dodgy way, so to speak, but like the Corleone's they are now trying to become/stay clean....

Well crud...now I can't get that "horse's head in bed" image out of my head. :P