topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Running FARR as Administrator launches applications as Administrator - Conflicts  (Read 4317 times)

sfb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi all,

Apologies for the "duh"-sounding topic title, I'd like to know if anyone else is running into this same problem.

In order to use the TinyEv plugin, I had to change FARR's startup to run with administrator privileges using the Task Scheduler/UAC trick. Great. However, this has kicked off a domino effect. Now, the applications I launch using FARR run with administrator privileges and are no longer playing nice with other "normal user" applications. For example, Dexpot, the virtual desktop manager. So I again used the Task Scheduler trick to run Dexpot. That fixed that problem. But oh no, now my Autohotkey key commands are now being ignored by the applications launched by FARR.

Before I continue down this rabbit hole, has anyone experienced this problem? Is there an easier workaround than essentially running *everything* with Administrator privileges??

Thanks!

-sfb

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IMHO, you shouldn't be running anything as administrator, except *maybe* some OS tools that require that, or an occasional (older) installer.
If something doesn't play nicely with Windows Vista or 7's new security scheme, either get the updated version of that software, or run it in compatibility mode.

If you dislike UAC or it hinders you too much, then you can turn it off, but that's not advisable in most of the cases either.

sfb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IMHO, you shouldn't be running anything as administrator, except *maybe* some OS tools that require that, or an occasional (older) installer.
If something doesn't play nicely with Windows Vista or 7's new security scheme, either get the updated version of that software, or run it in compatibility mode.

If you dislike UAC or it hinders you too much, then you can turn it off, but that's not advisable in most of the cases either.

Hi Ath,

Thanks for your reply.

I have nothing against UAC. But similar to other users in this thread, I couldn't get the TinyEv plugin to work without running FARR with administrator privileges. I'd rather not run anything as administrator, so if there are any suggestions to work around it, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

- sfb

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
...But similar to other users in this thread, I couldn't get the TinyEv plugin to work without...

Reading that thread I can only conclude that TinyEv needs another way to interface to Everything, then it does currently. It may be sort-of XP compatible, but it's being caught by the new security measures of Vista and 7, so something has to be done to resolve that.
It's not FARR's fault, and probably also not Everything's fault either, just the current 'interface' between them (TinyEv) is done in an incorrect way.

skajfes

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've created an alias to launch Everything when I append two spaces to the end of the search string. That way I have Everything on the tip of my fingers, and not having to worry about UAC. But that means that I don't see the search results in FARR.

If you're interested, here's the alias:
1000>>>Everything>->Search for $$1 with Everything | dolaunch C:\Program files (x86)\Everything\Everything.exe -search "$$1">+>^(.*)\s\s$
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.