ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is "Quick Format" safe?

<< < (3/7) > >>

Stoic Joker:
As for data security, a normal non-quick format (which just means zero-filling all sectors - there's really no such thing as a "low-level format" anymore, after a drive leaves the factory) is just fine.-f0dder (November 15, 2010, 02:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
You sure about that one? For the average end user sure okay, but a business? I've recovered data from a (fully) formatted drive, Even got a good bit (20%) of info off a drive that had been (factory restore) reimaged. Gutmann did mentioned (recommend actually) DBAN in his epilogue.

Shades:
things have changed since the old MFM drives-f0dder (November 15, 2010, 02:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

My MFM drive (on an Amiga 500) would already lose its data when I (lightly) bumped the table it was resting on. The difference between those highly unreliable drives and the rock solidness of the current generations still baffles me.

4wd:
My MFM drive (on an Amiga 500) would already lose its data when I (lightly) bumped the table it was resting on. The difference between those highly unreliable drives and the rock solidness of the current generations still baffles me.
-Shades (November 15, 2010, 05:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

The RLLs in my A3000 are still reliable, (well after the drive has spun long enough to desolidify the lubricant they are - they sure run hot until that happens :) ).

f0dder:
As for data security, a normal non-quick format (which just means zero-filling all sectors - there's really no such thing as a "low-level format" anymore, after a drive leaves the factory) is just fine.-f0dder (November 15, 2010, 02:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
You sure about that one? For the average end user sure okay, but a business? I've recovered data from a (fully) formatted drive, Even got a good bit (20%) of info off a drive that had been (factory restore) reimaged. Gutmann did mentioned (recommend actually) DBAN in his epilogue.-Stoic Joker (November 15, 2010, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't see how you could restore data from a fully formatted drive - but reimaged is easy, since that only overwrites the partition with what's in the image file, and leaves the rest of the partition untouched.

Stoic Joker:
That's what I thought when I used a WinXP install disk to do a full format on a client machine that was to be wiped. When it finished, I rebooted it expecting to see the typical OS not found message, but it booted back into XP.

Now I'll gladly admit it could have been a fluke, because a statistical sampling of one doesn't prove shit to anyone. But it was an awful spooky fluke...that I've never repeated.

For recovery stuff I've always used Runtimes Get Data Back - That's the best I can remember for details.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version