topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: For non-programmers: Editpad is the best text editor (for now!)  (Read 27936 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: For non-programmers: Editpad is the best text editor (for now!)
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 12:06 PM »
I think this interface issue is where I'm starting to differ from you guys and the person I used to be.  I used to be way more concerned about having maximum flexibility and options, and I didn't mind at all if I had to tweak some text files to do it.  But not anymore.  I'm way more impatient and critical of that stuff.  I think it's much more important now to have a good interface, with nice buttons and stuff that get the job done, and don't turn everything into a science project.  This is probably the root of a lot of the disagreements I am starting to have with a lot of the hardcore users here.  Even the whole Apple stuff I'm talking about now.  I'm changing.  I recognize it.  I love computers and technology, but I'm not willing to spend hours anymore trying to do simple things because programmers won't make a button for it.  I'm not willing to go into text files to modify my font settings with pseudo-programming language.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 01:01 PM »
This is probably the root of a lot of the disagreements I am starting to have with a lot of the hardcore users here.  Even the whole Apple stuff I'm talking about now.  I'm changing.  I recognize it.  I love computers and technology, but I'm not willing to spend hours anymore trying to do simple things because programmers won't make a button for it.

+1  :Thmbsup: ;D

I'm not quite there yet. But I'm a lot more there than I used to be.

In my case, I'm probably more tolerant than I should be because computers are something "I do" as opposed to something "I do something with." I'm an IT systems person, which is roughly akin to being a perpetual bridesmaid.

End-users ask me what games I recommend, or "what's a good way to (fill in the blank)" - and I have to tell them I really am not the best person to ask. I'm like the lead guy in a race team's pit crew. I'll design the car, build the car, tune the car, test the car, fix it when it breaks... but it's somebody else who races the car, not me. (Unless it's a server.  :mrgreen:)

There's two separate worlds here: Systems & Desktop. Each have very different end-goals despite the fact they share many intermediate goals along the way

I think any impatience you feel is more the result of what your real job is. If your real job is the technology itself (systems), you're more likely to put up with dumb-ass design decisions because it's...well...it's your job to do that. If your real job is to get results out of a piece of technology (desktop), then anything that gets in the way of speedy results is an annoyance at best.

Two different worlds. And each correct in its own way. :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:03 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 01:14 PM »
Well, I've always not been a tinker, but one to view them all as tools.  And as long as the implementation of the particular feature and the functions of the tool are efficient and don't get in the way of me using the software, they're fine with me.  Which is the reason I have never shied away from using whatever works, whether it's an iPad or a tablet, an apple product, or something else.  If the configuration file had been some sort of monstrosity of custom scripting or XML configuration, I'd be inclined to agree that there should have been some sort of options dialog... but it's pretty much just straight configuration file settings, commented very well, that looks very much akin to a .INI file, so that's where I'm coming from with it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 01:59 PM »
but it's pretty much just straight configuration file settings, commented very well, that looks very much akin to a .INI file

Actually, I kinda found it a little fascinating. Once I saw that I started using Sublime to open up some of the Python  :-*  files found inside the app folder. Most programs don't give you the opportunity to peek inside their kimono like that.

Pretty cool stuff!  8)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 06:03 PM »
Ha,ha - you are not alone SB! GUI is important to me as well - increasingly so. I'm not talking so much about font choice, colours, icons, and the "look" of the application, but about consistency in terms of settings, ease of use, and there being some underling logic evident so that I don't have to spend an age looking for settings...