topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: For non-programmers: Editpad is the best text editor (for now!)  (Read 27931 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://www.editpadpro.com/
Well, I've flirted with text editors for several years, but I didn't really delve into it like I normally do with software until recently.  After a few months of playing around with a lot of the editors out there, I've settled.  Editpad is the best text editor for me.

I'm not a programmer, so my needs are different from most of the people here who discuss their preferred text editors.  I've cycled through EmEditor, Notepad++, Editpad, and Ultraedit.  But in the end, Editpad wins out.  Let me just briefly mention my favorite things about it, and maybe later I'll have to create a nice article for it on my website.

Editpad's interface is awesome.  I love this programmer.  It's clear that close attention has been paid to every little aspect of the interface.  The icons are crisp, the dialogs are clear and intuitive.  He's really gone out of his way to make it look good: I think he has programmed the visual elements on his own, and he didn't use stock stuff that programmers use.  You can tell because things like the document tabs, icons, and certain dialogs are not "normal" looking.  Very nice.

A lot of the text editors make handling all the different types of syntaxes, fonts, and visual elements too complicated.  I know that it's a difficult thing to implement for programmers because there are so many things to consider.  So I'm not saying the other programs don't do a good job, I just like the way Editpad Pro has done it.  Simple.

I may not know programming, but i can tell when a programmer goes the extra distance.  This guy goes the extra distance.  It's like he won't stand for just the standard default stuff.  He WILL custom code things to get it just right.  I love that.  He's definitely in my short list of preferred programmers.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 07:39 PM by superboyac »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: For non-programmers: Editpad is the best text editor (for now!)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 02:45 PM »
I take it you're talking about $ Pro, not free Lite?

You might be interested to note tranglos' comments on EditPad-Pro vs. EmEditor: Re: EditPad Pro discounted at Bits du Jour on December 18

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 02:56 PM »
I take it you're talking about $ Pro, not free Lite?

You might be interested to note tranglos' comments on EditPad-Pro vs. EmEditor: Re: EditPad Pro discounted at Bits du Jour on December 18
I see.  Tranglos always has good things to say.  Here's the part that hit home with me:
I use both EditPad Pro and EmEditor, depending on my mood and what I'm doing. My advice: if you need (or would like to play with) virtually unlimited scripting, or if you enjoy having mind-bogglingly extensive control over the look and behavior of the editor depending on file type, go for EmEditor. If scripting isn't a concern, then EditPad Pro is also a very polished and convenient, with some extreme serching power and good configurability.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 10:28 AM »
superboyAC, did you also look at the same author's complementary program AceText, which looks a useful adjunct to EditPad Pro?

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 02:15 PM »
Forthcoming (don't hold your breath) EditPad Pro discounted at Bits du Jour on December 18

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 03:10 PM »
Forthcoming (don't hold your breath) EditPad Pro discounted at Bits du Jour on December 18

You make it sound like the deal will take place on Dec. 18th, but that's actually the subject of a 2 year old thread. Confuzzling.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 04:17 PM »
You make it sound like the deal will take place on Dec. 18th, but that's actually the subject of a 2 year old thread. Confuzzling.

Sorry.   :-[  Should have started a new thread.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 07:09 PM »
You can tell because things like the document tabs, icons, and certain dialogs are not "normal" looking.  Very nice.
That's some kind of a Con, though, as it does not fit any existing environment.
I have recently tested EditPad, UltraEdit and HippoEdit only to find out that my existing combination of N++ and Vim is probably the one that fits my needs best. Sigh.

For non-programmers EditPad Pro is probably too expensive. Spending money for something that you use for recording random text is not something most people I know would prefer.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 02:24 PM »
only to find out that my existing combination of N++ and Vim is probably the one that fits my needs best.
At least you'll save some money  :)  Are you sure it isn't just familiarity with existing tools that's "convincing" you, against the effort to change?

For non-programmers EditPad Pro is probably too expensive.

True, which is why I'm hoping for a BdJ (or elsewhere) discount.

Spending money for something that you use for recording random text is not something most people I know would prefer.
It might be worth it if the software makes something that much more convenient.

On the other hand, some of us just have a software habit to feed :)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 02:46 PM »
Are you sure it isn't just familiarity with existing tools that's "convincing" you, against the effort to change?
I am, I changed my used applications several times within the last two years. So, basically, yep, I am.
There is always that "features ./. handling" comparison done in someone's mind.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 02:47 PM »

Thanks for posting this... I was anxiously awaiting the 18th :(

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 10:29 AM »
I don't doubt that EditPad Pro is an excellent text editor.  I went to the site Superboyac cited and read about its features.  What puzzles me is why several people here have said they preferred it to UltraEdit (which is the text editor I now use).  The EditPad description mentioned a number of features that both editors seem to have.  I'm not trying to argue for UltraEdit over EditPad, I'm merely curious about what makes EditPad better.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 11:09 AM »
cyberdiva, it's not due to the number of features that made me claim that Editpad is better.  UE has more features than Editpad by far.  I just prefer the way everything is laid out in Editpad.  The interface is cleaner and more intuitive.  The preferences and feature-tweaking is also more elegant.  I just think it's designed better than UE, even though UE may be able to do more, technically speaking.  The developer for Editpad is just one of those "good" programmers in my eyes.  He writes very good stuff just in general.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 05:53 PM »
After reading your response, I went back and took another look at the website.  I can see what you mean about the look and feel. (Arrgh--I used to hate that expression, and now I'm using it.  Sorry.)  Anyway, I'm not ready to plunk down $50, but if there were ever a substantial discount offered, I might feed my software habit.  ;)  Thanks for letting me know about it.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 06:01 PM »
Your welcome!

i used to be that way also, I thought the "look and feel" was not important compared to loads of options.  But as my time becomes more and more valuable, as as the computing world (google, most software) becomes more and more bloated and just a flood of useless information, the look and feel of stuff has become very important.  Information is not the challenge anymore, finding it is.  Everything has become a needle in the haystack problem.  UE is like that: lots of features, but not so easy to tweak everything around.  Editpad is much more elegant in that way.  The stuff you probably need is right there and caters to your intuition.

I'm done with features.  I want elegance now.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 06:33 PM »
ARGH!...the Apple mentality is invading the mind of superboyac!!!!!!   ;)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 06:59 AM »
By the way, a friend of mine who introduced/converted me to EditPad probably 10 years ago recently told me he absolutely loves Sublime Text and now uses that for everything.

It's kind of expensive at $60 but the "trial version" has no time limit; it just pops up a nag window every now and again when you save a file.

With my new 25.5" 1920x1200 widescreen monitor, I'm really liking the double panes (it can have up to 4):

pythonHeroFull.pngFor non-programmers: Editpad is the best text editor (for now!)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 08:08 AM »
+1 to superboyac's comments about EditPad Pro's GUI - I own a lifetime license for ultraedit-32 but no longer have it installed. EditPad Pro is a pleasure to use whereas I've never felt at home in UE  ;D

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 02:29 PM »
Yes!  Darwin said it best.  UE is very good, but I've never felt at home with it.

Deozaan, that sidebar with the entire file content's preview is awesome!  I have never seen that in a text editor, what a great idea.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 02:37 PM »
Deozaan, that sidebar with the entire file content's preview is awesome!  I have never seen that in a text editor, what a great idea.

Also +1. Brilliant!  :-*

Downloading as we speak. If it works half as well as it looks I'm gonna have to find another $60 for a license. I want that feature!

(Why does it always happen at *THIS* time of the year?  ;D)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 08:55 AM »
^ Maybe we can get a DC discount?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 09:08 AM »
The bad thing with sublime text is that all the options are controlled with text files.  All of them.  If you click on anything that has to do with configuration or preferences, it opens up a text file with the settings in there.  I really don't get stuff like that.  He builds a beautiful interface for everything else, and then text file configurations.  Buttons people, buttons.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 09:10 AM »
I actually don't mind that.  It lets you get to the settings without worrying about a horrendous interface for options, and I wish more would give that option.  I haven't seen any program with a good interface for options that span more than one page.  None!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 09:36 AM »
^ I don't mind it too much either (thanks to many hours of working with servers) but I agree with SB that some sort of interface would have been nice to have in addition.

First rule of interface design: why allow only one method of working if you don't have to? Good tools are deep, flexible, and accommodating.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 10:36 AM »
First rule of interface design: why allow only one method of working if you don't have to? Good tools are deep, flexible, and accommodating.

True, but in the process of making it so, know your audience, and what they want.  If the core audience wants other features other than a nice-to-have interface for options, then go that way.  Maybe one day he will have an options dialog, but is it necessary to the core audience that supports him when what he has works?  Or are there other more pressing issues?