topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Can AHK cut/paste excel cells into fields of another program?  (Read 7727 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm trying to automate a repetitive task I do at work.  I have an excel sheet with standard columns.  For each individual row, I need to cut and paste the cells into the fields of another application.  Can AHK automate such a thing?  I'm guessing it can, and I'm also assuming that i can figure out how to code it.  Some of the fields are drop-down boxes or fields with their own popup dialogs.  Is that possible to automate?  I just need to know up front before I start getting into it.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can AHK cut/paste excel cells into fields of another program?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 05:28 PM »
Yes, it is.  What you want to do may not be elegant...but it certainly can be done.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 05:58 PM »
That's good to know.  Do you think it would be a very hard to do it for someone like me who has never used AHk before?  My background is that I'm familiar with the logic of programming.  I've had experience programming the TI calculators pretty extensively, and I was good with Lisp back in the day.  My point is, I understand the logic, just not the syntax.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 06:06 PM »
don't forget about VBA - depending on what you're other application was it may also do what you want

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 06:27 PM »
don't forget about VBA - depending on what you're other application was it may also do what you want
or a combination of vba and autohotkey.  unless the app you are pasting into is an Office app, in which case VBA alone might be easier.

Do you automatically want to do all the rows in the table, or are you going thru the table and selecting the rows whose cells you want to copy and paste, or do you want to hit a hotkey every time  you see a row you want to copy?

---------------------

Your level of expertise is at least equal to mine, and I've had no problem teaching myself enough VBA and AutoHotkey to do this sort of stuff.  You'll have less trouble than I did.