topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: I have a very hard announcement to make  (Read 24714 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: I have a very hard announcement to make
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 10:24 AM »
:D Just couldn't resist that~!

Isn't that lack of resistance (:deal:) the reason that you ended up where you are now?   :harhar:

dallee

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2010, 12:17 PM »
Dear App,

One of your posts was among the first I read when I first joined Donation Coder -- and I have always remembered and noted your distinctive voice and take on things.

So, you have made an indelible impression here.

I hope you keep posting -- and, hey, any interest in writing?

As for advice:  one door closes, another opens ...

One fan rooting for something great for you behind the door which opens,

Dallee   :Thmbsup:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2010, 01:02 PM »
Dear April

It made me sad to read your post, because you have helped me (and others) so many times, that it seems double unfair that you should feel bad about anything related to computing. You have been a beam of sunshine on DC's forum, and I thank you and hope you will keep hanging out here.

You have had to realize something unpleasant and take a hard decision, and to this I can relate. (Only, I screwed up my plans myself). But today I know from experience that killing your darlings, is important, when they turn out to merely be fixed poor ideas. My point being that from NOW on it is more likely to be getting better and even better, with your life, simply because you've said goodbye to a fixed unrealistic idea, and your next ideas will be of a more mature and realistic nature.

This poster is not a cheap street-wise joke to me, nor should it be to you or anyone else:

(click to enlarge to 814x1085 pixels)

Success (Maggie Simpson) by maskirovka77.jpgI have a very hard announcement to make

You're not a failure if you don't make it. You're a success because you tried!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 01:08 PM by Curt »

jaden

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2010, 01:03 PM »
App,

Thanks for all the helpful contributions you've made on this forum and for writing useful software.  Seeing what you had done helped inspire me to get off my butt and create some of my own.  I hope you're able to find something that provides you with the income you need and the enjoyment you deserve.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 01:22 PM »
I like the poster, Curt  :Thmbsup: It nicely captures a concept I try to instill in my students (the point is usually about applying to university), chiefly that if you don't try you're guaranteed to fail but if you do try you might just surprise yourself and others (I speak from experience - I attended two very prestigious universities and have often been asked how I was able to get into them: I applied!).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2010, 01:51 PM »
I attended two very prestigious universities and have often been asked how I was able to get into them: I applied!

:D    :up:

I sometimes have to be in the company of this guy who has nothing but evil crap to say about any athlete not being a World or Olympic champion. Of course he has never achieved anything himself, but so far I have managed to just walk away, even though he is tempting me to take up boxing or karate... He doesn't get the point: they TRY, and for this they deserve RESPECT!

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2010, 05:13 PM »
I feel like the "Johnny Come Lately" on this thread and am incredibly embarrassed that I just found out via the news letter :-[
Apologies  :(

App; it is very simple
I will tell you as I have told so many other.

YOU HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF FIRST!
yourself
your life
your family
your friends
YOU YOU YOU!!!

if you can not take care of yourself first, you are no good to no one, least of all yourself.

I feel your heart break, but no tears, I applaud all you have done; for yourself and the DC community.
through you DC has become a welcome place for others  :-*

Know that when you need friends, we are here  :-*

Go take care of yourself, we will be here waiting patiently for when you need us; for what-ever

Be happy again and find yourself as well

Thank you April for all that you have done, and my heart felt best wishes for your continued journey.
Merry Part and Fair journey Friend, until next our paths cross

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2010, 06:48 PM »
Just saw this today :)

+1 to what everybody has said. Hope things go very well.

briandr67

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • A Software Junky
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2010, 10:00 PM »
app, +1 for everything that has been said before. Your story brought tears to my eyes as I have had my dreams torn to pieces on a couple of occasions myself, 1, when I asked a girl to marry me, but she passed away the day after telling me she was pregnant. I got back on my horse and now have a son, (16 in Jan), 3 step kids and an extra I have been looking after since she was 10, (now 20) and 2, after 11 years as a psychiatric carer it was time to get out, went back to school to do a Certificate III in Hospitality when my back gave out, I almost ended up in a wheel chair after being hit by a car at 6, and it is an exacerbation of that. Been flat on my back for just over 8 months now. So coding isn't your Kentucky Derby winner, try your next horse and see how it runs. Hopefully next Derby Day you'll be on a winner. Thanks for your apps, LL I use every time I restart, and thanks for making DC a better place for all of us. Hopefully you won't be a stranger too long. Brian from Downunder

pencoe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 01:36 AM »
App: nothing to add to all this good wishes already given except this: may the future be bright for you!  :up:

The poster from Curt is a really valuable truth to remember for everyone! Thanks a lot for this.

Peter

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2010, 03:27 PM »
Hi April,

I am also one who discovered this thread via the newsletter (Thanks Mouser.)

I would like to parrot Nick's sentiments above and only add that while many have testified of the "sunshine" you have brought to DC I must admit that I have always seen much pain in your words and it tore my heart... and still does.  I am glad that I was able to bring a smile (or at least a smirk  ;)) to your face when I completed the "reparations."  Thank you for your help in my experience with Delphi and your pretty avatars.  My favorite was the "butterfly," but the copy you sent me was lost when a previous laptop died and the data backups proved to be corrupt, but I can still see it clear and crisp in my mind and I still wish it was your present avatar because it always made me smile and that's no lie. :)

Dear One, I am only 52 and have over 70+ major failures since I was 15 (no exaggeration) that caused my parents, wife, children, family and friends much pain, but what else could I do, but try again!  I did and am now enjoying the happiest years of my existence.  Not only that, but I am now regularly guiding young and old people in seeing what life is all about!  The greatest thrill of my life is watching people who thought they were down,  look up and beam with the realization of their intrinsic value and realized potential! :-*

I agree with you and others that it is time to take a step back when it isn't "fun" anymore, but at least go celebrate that you are free from the prison bars.  I'm serious.  Go out and enjoy some pizza and beverage with family and friends to celebrate your NEW BEGINNING!  This will help put it all in perspective and give you a boost to do what ya gotta do, but enjoy it!

You are not ignorant, stupid, dull, etc.  I realize I am contradicting you in your evaluation of your coding, etc., but I can not agree with all your evaluation.  Your years of self-taught computer training are not and were not wasted (remember the "butterfly").  You are very technically astute with a creative flair.  You possess "tools" to make your life happy and my greatest wish is for you to find the place where every morning is another opportunity to find happiness.  You need lots of happiness!

You know who I am and what I am about and I can assure you I am not being frivolous with your present pain.  If my life had been all rosy and peaches, then I would keep silent, but I have never enjoyed the silver spoon.  It is because I have faced multiple tragedies of my own doing and those foisted upon me that gives me the credentials to command your attention, if not now, then at some point in the near future.  If I can be of any assistance, just PM and know I care.

Here is wishing you a brand new day... trust me, it's there!
Calvin
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 03:46 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2010, 03:34 PM »
Here here, and cheers to CodeTRUCKER's statements  :Thmbsup:

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2010, 06:54 AM »
Not that there is anything left more to add here, so i just wish you keep hang out on forums. I have got a lot of help from you many times on and off the forum. Me and DC family are with you on whatever decisions you take.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2010, 02:31 AM »
As with many others catching this news late, I have little to add but my agreement with what others have said and my support for you in this decision. I wish you the very best and agree with everyone else here that you are doing the right thing.

I also think it's worth saying what a beautiful thing it is that most everyone who is active here at DC (and a few who aren't so much) has come out to support you and share their experiences. It's clear you are very much loved here, and I certainly consider you a deep and important part of my DC experience, so I hope you will not need to break with us forever. You are always welcome here whether you're programming or not, no matter what you go on to do and regardless of the subject, I'm sure we would all love to hear from you whenever you want to chat.

- Oshyan