topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Subsonic: Free,web-based personal media streamer/server  (Read 12787 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Subsonic: Free,web-based personal media streamer/server
« on: September 09, 2006, 06:20 PM »
Here's another mp3 server for your home computer to give you access to your music from another computer.

Subsonic is a free, web-based media streamer, providing access to your entire music collection wherever you are. Use it to share your music with friends, or to listen to your own music while at work. You can stream to multiple players simultaneously, for instance to one player in your kitchen and another in your living room.
Subsonic works with most operating systems, including Windows, Linux, Mac and Solaris.

For related tools see: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=3981.0

from http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Subsonic: Free,web-based personal media streamer/server
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 08:00 PM »
I actually tried that one the other day, but I couldn't make tomcat connect to/find it. Dunno if it was me putting the .war in the wrong place, or maybe the tomcat package being misconfigured... I gave up after 30 minutes.

This is not to say that subsonic is bad or anything of that sort. If you know how to work tomcat I am sure you can get it up in no time. I just don't know tomcat good enough.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 01:47 AM »
NECROTHREAD REVIVAL ALERT!

I missed this thread 4 years ago and just recently heard about Subsonic from a friend. So I did a search on DC and here it is! Anyway, on to Subsonic:

Wow! It's so cool and easy to use! It appears to have improved a lot in the past years, since I don't have any idea what housetier was talking about (I've never heard of a .war or tomcat) and I've had it running for a few weeks now.

If you've ever been somewhere away from your music collection and wanted to listen to your music or let your friends listen to an awesome new album you've just gotten, then Subsonic may be for you. And Subsonic recently implemented video streaming, too, though I haven't tried that yet.

There are even apps for iPhone, Android, and Windows 7 phones so you can listen to your music from your phone, wherever you are.

Android app is free.
iCrap app(s) cost money.
Not sure about Windows 7 Mobile apps.

It was super easy to install (on Win 7 32-bit) and it automatically configured port forwarding on my router and let me choose a subdomain ([name].subsonic.org) I can use to connect from anywhere. It's so nice that I just donated to it to get a lifetime license key.

I strongly recommend you check it out again if you haven't looked at it recently.

http://subsonic.org/
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:49 AM by Deozaan »

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 02:50 AM »
Wow, that sounds highly promising. I've been tinkering with Gmote and the accompanying Android app recently, but it's rather limited. I'd love something that worked a bit better. I'll definitely check Subsonic out!

- Oshyan

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 05:21 AM »
this is quite promising.. i like the fact that no uploads are necessary, therefore your whole collection is like a shared folder which you can access remotely. this guarantees that there will be no sync problems such as if you were to upload and try to keep your files updated. and as Deozaan noted you can get your own sub-domain for as little as €10.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 08:35 AM »
I've used Subsonic for a long time.  Fantasic program.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 10:57 AM »
iCrap app(s) cost money.

To be fair, that's a function of the developer of the app.  Developing a paid app for a free service has always seemed sort of questionable to me, especially if you don't have a free (if less featured) version to give back to the community...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 01:49 PM »
iCrap app(s) cost money.

To be fair, that's a function of the developer of the app.  Developing a paid app for a free service has always seemed sort of questionable to me, especially if you don't have a free (if less featured) version to give back to the community...

Yeah, if developers have to pay a big fee in order to even develop anything for the platform, I understand that they wouldn't want to make a lot of apps available for free. But I still blame crApple for that.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 01:51 PM »
^ It's not that big of a fee to start developing for the platform.  $100 I believe?  Both apps are $4.99 each.  The math doesn't support that argument.