topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 4:33 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Too Stupid to Own a Computer  (Read 13959 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Too Stupid to Own a Computer
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 07:56 AM »
Hmmm... this article seems to have a lot more detail about this story, complete with the scammer's account of what happened.

http://www.lohud.com...-victim-of-grifters-

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2010, 08:35 AM »
2. How on earth did the scammers justify the 7 figure fee to the victim? I mean, and I think this was partly Renegade's point above, how could anyone be convinced that rooting around on someone's hard drive is worth that much money?

That's why I said it seems part of this story is missing.
Oops! Sorry app - I missed that. You did indeed make the same point.

Thank you for posting the link to the more detailed story above. Reading it now...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2010, 08:41 AM »
Bizarre... After reading the article I'm more mystified than ever! What a mess...

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2010, 09:28 AM »
"(They) were bringing over $400 million," Bedi said, "and for this, they were very concerned because taxes had not been paid on this money for 60 years."
Okay so he didn't go to the cops because of the tax evasion issue - Not quite the most innocent of "victims" is he?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2010, 09:54 AM »
"(They) were bringing over $400 million," Bedi said, "and for this, they were very concerned because taxes had not been paid on this money for 60 years."
Okay so he didn't go to the cops because of the tax evasion issue - Not quite the most innocent of "victims" is he?

Still doesn't (quite) explain why he agreed to pay these jokers $160,000 a month...
Actually, now that I've had a cup of coffee and am thinking more clearly, this smacks of blackmail.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2010, 11:21 AM »

Still doesn't (quite) explain why he agreed to pay these jokers $160,000 a month...
Actually, now that I've had a cup of coffee and am thinking more clearly, this smacks of blackmail.

It does a bit yes, but...

If you're going to keep some liquor in your locker
You'd be wise to keep a lock upon your stock
Or some joker who is quicker
Will rob you of your liquor
Tho you snicker you'll be sicker for the shock.  :D

So now we have a multi national fortune 500 company that apparently doesn't have an IT staff that can figure out if an "infected" email bounced through their network?

Exactly why didn't his lawyers advise him to pay his taxes (like 60 years ago)? Why aren't they in jail?

I just can't feel sorry for this guy. 6 million out of 400 million *Shrug* as a tip that's not ever 5% - I'm thinking the IT company got shafted.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2010, 02:08 AM »
What happened to this guy is NOT funny!  >:(

Sorry app, but...  Is so!   ;D ;D

Jim   ;)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 10:56 PM »
OH, this gets even better every time I see something about it. How's this: The "foreign nationals" that these grifters claimed were out to get this idiot included: the Illuminati, Polish pirates, Roman Catholic Opus Dei initiates, an Indian military operative..... and a photo with President Obama! And the amount is $20 million now?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/da-vinci-code-grifters-fleece-man-in-20-million-computer-virus-international-conspiracy-scam/14622

Jim