ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Too Stupid to Own a Computer

<< < (4/7) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Of course anyone can, and most of us at some point in our lives probably have fallen for a scam, maybe not even that good of a one. But, I do think everyone is entitled to laugh when we see someone displaying such an extreme degree of stupidity and cluelessness.
-Eóin (November 12, 2010, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

But everyone has such a degree of stupidity and cluelessness about something. None of us knows everything about everything and never has a moment of weakness where we aren't thinking clearly.-app103 (November 12, 2010, 05:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
Quite true, however we're also not dumb enough to start throwing cash at a problem we don't fully understand.

Should I laugh at the holes in your knowledge? It's funny, right?
--- End quote ---
Might as well ... I do. Taking yourself too seriously is a sure fire way to fail.

You know, when you don't know something, it can sometimes be hard to find people to trust. Often the people with the knowledge would rather laugh at you than help you...while others will take advantage of you and scam you.
--- End quote ---
A question that isn't properly formed, can't be answered. It also deserves a chuckle or two ... Granted most of us will try to answer the question after regaining composure...But there are some things you just gotta let pass.

That whole laughing thing could also make your friends and family afraid to admit to you that they don't know something and need some help and advice, placing them right into the hands of the scammers that seem caring and sympathetic, while they take advantage of them and laugh about it later.
--- End quote ---
Well, if somebody made a habit of treating their friends and family like shit, and then felt guilty for it when they got scammed. I'd laugh at them too (it's a karma thing).

What happened to this guy is NOT funny!  >:(
--- End quote ---

Now if they scammed somebodies middle-class grandmother out of her life savings, then yes I'd say outrage was called for. But an oil tycoon loses 6 million - What's that like a nickel to the rest of us?!? - That's funny. He's got a flock of lawyers on retainer, security staff, business managers, etc., etc, etc. The man had some frigging options... He just chose to ignore them. Hence he deserves the scorn. :)

rgdot:
Just because there is a product in the box doesn't mean it's worth (anywhere near) what you were charged for it, or any more than the box it came in.

Scareware, you get your product, you pay your money...fair deal right?

Insurance companies, Constantly try to over insure everybody for everything ... seriously, are you really worried that that many things might actually happen to you? I have full coverage insurance on my truck, because the bank says so... (hay that's a freebie example) I got rear ended by a hit and run driver. Now, do you really think I was stupid enough to tell the insurance company about that?!? Hell no. Why you ask?
First I get hit with the deductable (so they don't really "cover" the damages)
Second my rates go up (Oh goody that'll teach my to stop at a red light in front of some jackass on a cell phone)
Third, the resale value of my truck goes through the floor...because the insurance company reports it to carfax.

So WTF am I paying these people for? I fixed the damn bumper myself.

Investment companies, It's amazing how they manage to get filthy rich in the process of loosing other peoples money ain't it? Oh but they provided a service... Yeah a funeral service for your savings.

I could probably think of a few more, but the wife says it's dinner time. :)
-Stoic Joker (November 12, 2010, 04:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I just wanted to say +1 to this
(I know I am not adding anything to the discussion, not for the first time either)

Renegade:
@app103 - I think there's a very big difference between you getting scammed, and this fellow. $5,000 is something that we can relate to. Seeing you get burned like that strikes a chord.

But $6,000,000 isn't something that any of us can really relate to losing. It's so far removed from our reality that there's nothing to do but laugh. It's $6 million! Like holy murphy!

I've been burned for hundreds of thousands (not strictly a scam, but it's a long story), but that's still nowhere near $6 million.

For that amount of money you can build a bionic man~! :D

app103:
But an oil tycoon loses 6 million - What's that like a nickel to the rest of us?!? - That's funny. He's got a flock of lawyers on retainer, security staff, business managers, etc., etc, etc. The man had some frigging options... He just chose to ignore them. Hence he deserves the scorn.
-Stoic Joker (November 12, 2010, 05:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Jazz pianist and composer.

@app103 - I think there's a very big difference between you getting scammed, and this fellow. $5,000 is something that we can relate to. Seeing you get burned like that strikes a chord.

But $6,000,000 isn't something that any of us can really relate to losing. It's so far removed from our reality that there's nothing to do but laugh. It's $6 million! Like holy murphy!

I've been burned for hundreds of thousands (not strictly a scam, but it's a long story), but that's still nowhere near $6 million.

For that amount of money you can build a bionic man~! :D
-Renegade (November 12, 2010, 06:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Whether it's $6 or $6 million, I still don't find it funny when someone gets scammed because they don't know everything about everything and someone takes advantage of a gap in their knowledge.

Eóin:
because they don't know everything about everything and someone takes advantage of a gap in their knowledge.
-app103 (November 12, 2010, 07:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

But the gap in this case wasn't really IT related, it was a gap in basic common sense. That can be funny, and it was here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version