ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

pin a document to start menu

<< < (5/11) > >>

app103:
First of all, I do have the classic menu as shown in Joker's post.
-techidave (November 10, 2010, 08:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

What he has showing in his post is NOT the classic start menu.

What I have showing is.

* Right click the start button and select Properties.
* Select the bottom option.
* Click Apply and OK.
* Check to see if what you stick in the start menu folder shows on the start menu.

gdv22:
If you want to simply add a shortcut to the Start Menu, my preferred method is the same as app103's, even though I'm using the standard WinXP Start Menu, not the Classic Start Menu.

But I think you wanted to pin a document (or a shortcut to a document) to the Start Menu (i.e., so it would appear like "We Need ShortCut Here.txt" does in Stoic Joker's image, assuming you're using the standard WinXP Start Menu, not the Classic Start Menu).

While the standard Right-Click context menu generally only displays the "Pin to Start menu" for programs and shortcuts to programs, I think you'll find that Ctrl+Shift+Right-Click will reveal the "Pin to Start menu" option in the Right-Click context menu with any file or shortcut (e.g., executables, documents, zips, images, mp3s, etc., etc., etc.).  (You will also have to Ctrl+Shift+Right-Click to Unpin from the Start menu.)  This works on my XP Pro system with the standard XP Start Menu (i.e., the one in Stoic Joker's image), but I'm not sure about the Classic Start Menu (when I tried switching to the Classic Start Menu just now, I didn't see the Pin to Start menu option at all).

Let us know if that works! :)

Stoic Joker:
First of all, I do have the classic menu as shown in Joker's post.
-techidave (November 10, 2010, 08:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

What he has showing in his post is NOT the classic start menu.

What I have showing is.-app103 (November 10, 2010, 09:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Correct! ...That's why I kept referring (in earlier posts) to the item in the screen shot as the Start Panel which it what it has been called since 2001 when XP was released. I actual hated the thing when it first came out (minimalist that I are...). But I finally decided to give it a fair shot (sometime in 2k3), and now can't function without it.

techidave:
Sorry my bad again.  I have the default start menu as shown in Joker's image above and not the classic one.  I was confused yesterday.

I did try the Ctrl+Shift+Right-Click as mentioned by gdv22 but there was no pin to showing up.  But it does work with a .exe file.

i will uninstall my multiple monitors/ taskbars software and see what that does.

Stoic Joker:
There was a hotkey involved with one version (XP/Vista/7) of the SP, but I don't recall which (or when). Ctrl+ Right click drag sounds right ... I'm just not sure if it's Ctrl on release/drop or before the click/drag. Could also try both with shift - I'm fairly sure it was only one key. But the target must be on a local drive...Unless you want to try tricking it by modifing the shortcut after it's pinned.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version