ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

pin a document to start menu

(1/11) > >>

techidave:
I have been trying various ways to pin or place a document or even the shortcut to the document on my start menu.  this is one that I use almost every day and looking for a way.  I have googled, search these forums to no avail.

Is it possible to do this in XP?  Maybe with a coding snack? 

dave

Deozaan:
It's been a while since I used XP, but you can't just right-click the file and select Pin to Start Menu? Come to think of it, I think you could only do that if it showed up in your recently used list or was already in the start menu.

Can you create a shortcut to your start menu location and drag shortcuts to documents onto the shortcut to the start menu?

MilesAhead:
I think even in old versions of Windows if you drag a file to the Start Menu icon on the Taskbar, you get a shortcut in the Start Menu popup list. It may fall off after awhile. I'm not sure if it's permanent or MRU or even MFU.  A lot of Windows stuff is frequency rather than recency.  Which is the impetus for most of my utilities it seems. :(

Also in XP I believe you could make a shortcut to the document on the desktop.  Drag that to the Quick Launch Bar.  Then delete the desktop shortcut.  One click on the Quick Launch icon would bring it up.

techidave:
Right clikc and pin to start menu is not an option for me.  It wasn't in my recently used list but it is now and still doesn't show up.  I have tried to drag it to the start menu and it doesn't work either even if it is a shortcut.

What i found on google were the same suggestions that you have given.  I know I have done this before and I think I just dragged it there but doesn't work now.

techidave:

Also in XP I believe you could make a shortcut to the document on the desktop.  Drag that to the Quick Launch Bar.  Then delete the desktop shortcut.  One click on the Quick Launch icon would bring it up.

-MilesAhead (November 10, 2010, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Tried that Miles as that was one of the suggestions from Google.  It didn't work either. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version