ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Getting an HTC Desire HD -- Android Phone

<< < (9/12) > >>

JavaJones:
Yeah, that clears up that you were talking about all the rest of Outlook's functionality then, I wasn't really clear on that. You had 4 major complaints, 1 was about email, 1 about syncing of other data to a desktop email/PIM client (Outlook) which I mistook to be about "email". So that was half, as I saw it at the time. ;)

As a user I do notice the difference between iOS and Android multitasking. Some of the use cases I gave in my examples above would simply not be possible on iOS, and I hadn't even started using IM by that time, another impossibility. I wonder whether you're the kind of user that might do a heavy multitasking though. Some aren't. I certainly am.

Flash Lite isn't really a "workaround" it's just a limited version. It came with my phone. But the point will be moot soon enough. :D

- Oshyan

steeladept:
Point taken.  The biggest part of multitasking that I tend to use is downloading apps/updates/web pages/etc. and running a few things in the background without interrupting what I am working on just to complete those tasks.  To that end, I think you are right in saying I am not a "heavy" multitasker.  Because of the suspend mode, neither machine truly does what I wanted in multitasking, but it is really a small gripe for me.  In reality, for day-to-day use, I don't really use it much if at all.

Darwin:
From your description, I *think* that WP7 handles multi-tasking in much the same way. For example, if I start downloading and installing an app from the marketplace and then return to my start screen and open up my e-mail, the download and installation continues in the background (just confirmed this by installing the Twitter app while I read a couple of e-mails NOW who's multi-tasking, eh?!  ;D). My take on the multi-tasking issue is that the form factor of a phone doesn't lend itself to intensive multi-tasking anyway! However, I'm a neophyte user, so may find myself frustrated down the road!

Shades:
I have noticed that my HTC Desire HD battery does drain quickly. Well, it's better than other phones I've had anyways.
-Renegade (November 19, 2010, 11:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

I still think battery technology is probably the one biggest disappointment of our time (well, from a gadget lover's point of view. I understand that the world has bigger, more essential problems.). Gadgets get faster, smaller, more powerful. But things that are called mobile phones can hardly get through a day without being re-charged. I'm still waiting for the great break-through...
-phitsc (November 19, 2010, 02:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

And I was under the impression that anyone who can invent a better battery will not only gain so much money that even his/her grand-grandchildren are not able to spend it all, it would also be a spark for technology practically equivalent to the wheel. Do not underestimate the (global) impact from better batteries.

Renegade:
My battery life is entirely dependent on how much I use the display. Nothing is even close to it for how much power it uses.

So if I'm playing games or whatever, it only lasts a few hours. However, if I'm not really using it, it's got lots enough power for a full day. I've not really paid too much attention there though and can't say exactly how much standby power it has. I don't really use my phone all that much. If I have 10 phone calls in a month, that's a lot. I use Skype more to talk as I don't really talk to anyone in Australia at all. My last several voice calls have been to a friend in Korea (several), my sister in Qatar (once), my wife in Vietnam (several), and to tech support and sales for my servers (several). None were on my phone. I use an Internet phone as well for talking to people in Korea as it costs me almost nothing.

I'm kind of not really the best person to talk to for a lot of information on battery life. I only really know that games and whatever uses the display takes a lot of power. Standby seems ok for me, but no detailed opinion there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version