topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 1:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Scrivener for Windows  (Read 4964 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Scrivener for Windows
« on: November 10, 2010, 02:25 AM »
Just when Scrivener 2 for Mac has been launched, here comes Scrivener for Windows!

Scrivener for Windows Beta 3
The writing tool designed with serious writing in mind comes to Windows

Developer: Literature & Latte
Software Cost: Free

http://downloads.pca...r-for-windows-beta-3

I have heard so much good about Scrivener for Mac, that I am grabbing this free beta at once! Scrivener for Mac is listed as $45, so the freeware policy *may* be for this beta version only. I don't know.

As any writer will tell you, there are several obstacles that getting the way of words down on paper, or on screen. As well as time constraints and the ever-present spectre of writer's block, there is also the problem of organising notes and ideas as well as managing lengthy documents as your ideas start to come to life.

Whether you are writing a thesis, a novel or a script, Scrivener is a powerful writing aid that can be used to organise notes, try out different ideas, view ideas alongside completed passages of text and much more; the app is a word processor and project management tool rolled in to one.

Scrivener enables you to create order from chaos, making it possible to focus in on small sections of your text in isolation from your other notes and research, or view projects as a whole to get a better idea of what sort of progress is being made. Unlike a word processor, you are free to organise documents in any way that works best for you and the order of text can be easily adjusted.

Working in outliner mode, Scrivener can be used to plan a project, while virtual index cards can be used to brainstorm ideas. You can also use the app solely as a means of collecting research material or to edit through rough drafts of a file. Whatever way you prefer to work, Scrivener is on hand to help you along.

Verdict:
A hugely impressive writing aid that can be of assistance to everyone from script writers and novelists to students and professionals.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Scrivener for Windows
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 03:49 AM »
From http://www.scrivenerforwindows.com/

When Scrivener for Windows goes on sale early next year it will cost $40 for the regular licence and $35 for
the education licence.

:Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 07:29 AM »
I gave it a try a few weeks ago.

Very promising, but the version I used was extremely buggy. Got a few sample chapters in before it screwed up royally when I began moving things around and basically stopped working. :wallbash:

If they ever get the kinks worked out I think I'd be willing to buy a copy. It's pretty good about staying out of your way. And very intuitive. Of all the novel "organizers" out there, this one seems to have the smoothest workflow.

I'm gonna keep an eye on this one.  :Thmbsup:

Note: You can get very similar functionality (plus some extra features) with a free open source app called Storybook available here.

home_mirror.png

More screenshots (click to enlarge) for chronological, scene organizer, and book view:

chrono_view.pngScrivener for Windows     manage_view.pngScrivener for Windows     book_view.pngScrivener for Windows

8)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 09:35 AM »
Well, the new Scrivener version is not "extremely" buggy; I merely found a couple of items. But there will quite soon be another version to test. However, the "freeware" concept that I was assuming, is quite wrong: This is a test version and nothing more.

beta2010-11-10.gif

--

I too can remember StorYBook ( Re: Plain text editor for writers ). It is though quite a different thing for a different purpose.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 12:07 PM »
However, the "freeware" concept that I was assuming, is quite wrong: This is a test version and nothing more.

From what I gather, it will be "free" through November/December to coincide with the annual NaNoWriMo :-* event.

Re: buggy

I tried the beta2 and it had several serious issues, including not wanting to save on more than one occasion. Glad to see they've made progress getting the bugs out.

Re: Storybook

Designed for a different purpose than Scribner? How so?  :)

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 03:03 PM by 40hz »