topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Why Apple's Distortion Field Works  (Read 30283 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Why Apple's Distortion Field Works
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 07:25 PM »
Damn that's a hard act to follow...

But my impression of the article is that they're saying that Apple came up with inovative ways of presenting technology to the masses (Which is not the same as creating inovative technologies - colored plastic doesn't count - which they're never done). Which seems (to me) to fit perfectly with the idea that Apples primary "product" is there marketing (which is true).

Sorry Renegade, much as I love you're rants...I'm having trouble getting behind this one.

Hmm... just read this post and it made me realize that I've not yet read the article that started all of this  :-[ I don't have time to do it at the moment, but will, promise...

ljbirns

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 08:03 PM »
I don't know if anyone here wants to bid            http://bits.blogs.ny...0-apple-computer/?hp
Lew

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010, 03:36 AM »
<rant mode="high-gear">

Sir,

I am interested in your opinions and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Sincerely,

:up:  :up:  :up:   :-*

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 03:39 AM »
<rant mode="high-gear">

Sir,

I am interested in your opinions and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Sincerely,

:up:  :up:  :up:   :-*

Hahaha~! Sorry, no newsletter.

One of my blogs is centered on transitioning from developing for Microsoft to developing for Apple, and mostly full of rants. :)

http://microsoft2apple.com/

By normal site is in my sig. A few ranty blogs, but not that many. :)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 04:28 AM »
i think we crave a dedicated apple hating specific blog. the more insane and biased the better. c'mon, Renegade, it would be cathartic.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2010, 04:40 AM »
Oh man, I just had the weirdest thought:

If we could cross y0himba with Renegade we'd have the perfect Steve Jobs Terminator!

Disclaimer: Time for another drink me thinks.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2010, 06:44 AM »
i think we crave a dedicated apple hating specific blog. the more insane and biased the better. c'mon, Renegade, it would be cathartic.
Cathartic, yes - I like that - Therapeutic also in allowing a sane and comical response to the barrage of iMmercials we're sure to be (enraged by) hit with during the holiday season.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2010, 07:05 PM »
First, a big thank you to Darwin and fenixproductions for donations for my rant!

Second, the Apple hatred ranting blog... WOULD BE INSANELY FUN~!

So, here's what I'm thinking...

Why don't I put those donations towards a domain name and web space and get the sledgehammer hammering. :)

There's no end to the constant barrage of material to rant over. Heck, here's another:

http://www.theregist...cle_openjdk_project/

For the uninitiated, the rant would be about Apple jerking people along just long enough to abandon them. (It will come...)

But I digress...

I would like help though. I can't rant all by myself. Well, I could, but I don't rant often enough. It would be great if a few people could help out.

So, here's the open call... I need 2 things:

* People to come up with appropriate domain names that I can buy (I wanted "isa.co.ck", but couldn't get it. steve.jobs.isa.co.ck would have been awesome!)
* Volunteers to help rant. :D

I have no problem with profanity or extreme obscenity, and there's pretty much nothing that can really offend me, so any domain name is game. For example, one of my web sites is:

So you get the idea.

Ideally the venom should be spiked with humor.

While a lot of the good domains like applesucks.com are gone, there is no end to the possibilities.

Incorporating the TLD in the domain name as a full expression would be best. e.g. su.pr = super. (Note that .pr domains cost $1,200 about, so probably not a good idea to use them.)

I'm sure there are a few people that would love the freedom to truly let loose with no restrictions, so please step up if you'd like to spew forth your opinions/humor/venom/rants about Apple. :D

Peace, love, and eternal grooviness~!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2010, 10:16 PM »
* People to come up with appropriate domain names that I can buy (I wanted "isa.co.ck", but couldn't get it. steve.jobs.isa.co.ck would have been awesome!)

CO.CC are generally free, isa.co.cc is still available but will cost $14 - so you can still have steve.jobs.isa.co.cc

>:D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2010, 11:23 PM »

CO.CC are generally free, isa.co.cc is still available but will cost $14 - so you can still have steve.jobs.isa.co.cc

>:D

They're actually just free subdomains. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.cc

Having a subdomain under someone else's control just makes me nervous. :(

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2010, 11:56 PM »
They're actually just free subdomains. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.cc

Hey, thanks for that - didn't know it an Australian (sub)domain, (I really should read more), anyway all I can say is I've had a free one for 1+ years and it's still working, (I just have to remember to renew it after an hour of twiddling my thumbs wondering why it stopped working  :-[ ).

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2010, 11:57 PM »
NSFW domain names

applefa.gs - Not too keen on this as it has strongly homophobic connotations that I don't like, but it's a pretty cool domain name. :)
appleisfu.cd
applesh.it - This rocks.
applefu.kr
fuckap.pl

Those are only a few ideas. Anyone have any more?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2010, 03:54 AM »
i'd like to contribute an article about the automatic assumption that you must use a Mac if you are a designer (personally, any time i see a "designer/creative/artist" type using a Mac i instanly loose all respect for them. it instantly signals to me that they aren't very original in their mindset. they are a sheep. of course, i'm jumping to conclusions about someone, but that's part of the fun.)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2010, 04:41 AM »
I have never been a fan of Apple, but i think you guys are being too harsh on Apple users.

There may be plenty of people who buy Apple stuff because they have bought into the ridiculous "lifestyle" marketing of Apple which promises you will be one of the cool kids if you have Apple stuff.

BUT surely there is a larger number of Apple users who buy Apple products simply because they are making an intelligent decision that their desires in terms of total user interface are much more in line with the focus of Apple developers.

From what I can see, most Apple users are happily making a rationale decision that they don't need to have an infinitely configurable device or software, and are more concerned with having a smooth predictable experience.

Most of us have some devices we interact with that we want to be able to really customize and tweak and don't mind spending a lot of time getting them to work the way we want and are willing to put up with (or often enjoy) a steeper learning curve and some instability, and also some devices that we just want to work and don't want to spend days studying and reconfiguring and troubleshooting.

I think Apple is just marketing to the audience of people who, at least for their computer/iphone/ipad, fall on one end of this spectrum.

So a big part of the reason there is a divide among apple vs pc users is they WANT different things out of their device (same goes for linux users of course).

ps. As I said earlier, this is a separate issue from the issue of Apple marketing their brand as a cool lifestyle choice, which is more insidious and psychological and appeals to our more irrational and counter-productive unconscious desire to attain status, which i find distasteful.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 04:45 AM by mouser »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2010, 05:57 AM »
...i think you guys are being too harsh on Apple users.

Absolutely! But that's part of the fun~! :P

(I have a love for overkill. :D )

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2010, 06:05 AM »
I think we know there are plenty of people that make an intelligent-user choice and decide to go with Apple. They'll be the ones that don't worship at the alter of Steve Jobs. They'll be the ones that don't try to explain a machine/interface deficiency as a killer must have feature. But they aren't fun people to try and wind up.

People love to argue and bait fanboys. That's why a dedicated Apple hating blog is a good idea - it's fun. The insults that will be thrown back in the blog comments against Apple haters will be fun too. It won't change anyone's opinion. The more irrational and outrageous the ranting the better, I say. If it starts a holy war - great.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 06:10 AM by nudone »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2010, 07:40 AM »
I think we know there are plenty of people that make an intelligent-user choice and decide to go with Apple. They'll be the ones that don't worship at the alter of Steve Jobs. They'll be the ones that don't try to explain a machine/interface deficiency as a killer must have feature. But they aren't fun people to try and wind up.

People love to argue and bait fanboys. That's why a dedicated Apple hating blog is a good idea - it's fun. The insults that will be thrown back in the blog comments against Apple haters will be fun too. It won't change anyone's opinion. The more irrational and outrageous the ranting the better, I say. If it starts a holy war - great.

Amen~!

It would just be a hoot.

Kind of like how Sarah Jessica Parker is a transvestite donkey witch (Facebook): http://transvestitedonkeywitch.com/ (Check the title.)

Silliness is a ton of fun.

The thing is to always keep things close enough to the truth so that it's actually defensible. That way it's even more biting. :P

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2010, 02:23 PM »
Bump...

No takers/volunteers to help me start up a new blog and rant a bit?

Deozaan?

nudone?

Zaine?

<your name here />???

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2010, 02:40 PM »
Oops! I thought the planning meeting had moved to some place I didn't know about.

Not sure what I can do as my rants aren't any near as detailed or comical as yours, but I'm willing to help if/as I can.

I was wondering if maybe the domain name should be something a tad subtler like KewlAid.net (it's available)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2010, 03:22 PM »
I'm with Stoic Joker on this one - I'll help where needed. I like kewlaid.net... Nice! I agree that something more subtle might be better WRT the domain name. If you go too outrageous and angry you might not get the level of outside participation that you want...

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2010, 05:30 PM »
Great!

Don't worry about not having a lot to rant about. I don't either. That's why I think a few people are needed to make it work.

I went ahead and bought kewlaid.net. (You obviously didn't check with Network Solutions! :) ) So we have that now. If anyone has any other ideas though, let's run with whatever people like best.

But, we need a multi-blogger platform. I'm not sure what would work best. I think that being in an already existing ecosystem in important though. e.g. Microsoft2apple.com is on Wordpress, and thus, a part of the Wordpress ecosystem, so it interlinks with other blogs automatically for relevant/related topics/posts.

Any ideas on what would work best?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2010, 05:36 PM »
wordpress sounds good. good idea about a more subtle domain name (i was going to suggest that might be the way to go too).

i wouldn't be surprised if timns had a few ideas/rants to contribute about Apple. i'll ask him.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2010, 05:50 PM »
not to throw fuel onto the fire or anything, but this from slashdot this morning

Apple: Apple the No. 1 Danger To Net Freedom
Posted by CmdrTaco on Monday November 15, @12:39PM
from the but-we-like-the-shiny dept  CWmike writes

"Columbia law professor Tim Wu, who coined the term 'net neutrality,' now says that Apple is the company that most endangers the freedom of the Internet. Wu recently published the book The Master Switch: The Rise and Fall of Information Empires, in which he details what he calls 'information empires' such as AT&T, NBC, Facebook, and Google. He told The New York Times, 'It's largely a story of the American affection for information monopolists and the consequences of that fondness.' When asked whether the Internet could similarly be controlled by large companies, he told the Times: 'I know the Internet was designed to resist integration, designed to resist centralized control, and that design defeated firms like AOL and Time Warner. But firms today, like Apple, make it unclear if the Internet is something lasting or just another cycle.' Asked which companies he feared most, Wu replied: 'Right now, I'd have to say Apple.'"

perhaps you could rope this guy in as well

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2010, 06:37 PM »
I highly doubt that he would be willing to participate in a lunatic fringe blog. :) Then again, there's no harm in asking.

Anyways, I checked Wordpress, and it's simple enough to have multiple bloggers. I'll see about getting it up and running ASAP.

Those that would like to participate, please PM me your Wordpress IDs so I can add you.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2010, 06:57 PM »
No takers/volunteers to help me start up a new blog and rant a bit?

Deozaan?

Do I have a reputation or something? I haven't even commented in this thread (until now) but I'm the first one you mention in a request to join forces for an over the top Apple bashing blog? :huh:

I honestly don't know if I should feel good about that or not. :-[  ;D

EDIT: But since we're on the topic, I came across this today and had a good laugh: What it's like to own an Apple product.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 07:00 PM by Deozaan »