ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Opinions about Ruby/Ruby on Rails

<< < (2/2)

Renegade:
I didn't want to mention the performance thing as I have no personal experience with it, but I've heard a few times that RoR is really good for prototyping, but the performance issues make it unsuitable for large deployments.

f0dder:
I didn't want to mention the performance thing as I have no personal experience with it, but I've heard a few times that RoR is really good for prototyping, but the performance issues make it unsuitable for large deployments.-Renegade (November 09, 2010, 06:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
Mention that to a Ruby aficionado and you'll be told to throw more hardware at it.

There's (at least) two parts to the performance thing - one is the interpreted nature of Ruby; even though the language is from the mid nineties, the core distribution doesn't have an efficient interpreter/vm/whatever. The second is on Windows because of all the hellish cygwin DLLs, starting up the webrick takes a lot of time on my moderately-powered laptop - enough that it's a pain during development.

Oh, and the requirement for having a gcc environment to install gems probably means a lot less choices wrt. hosting of a ruby project than a simple PHP (or even asp.net) deployment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version