ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Filter directory tree by file type?

<< < (2/3) > >>

tomos:
some file managers have a display view called FLAT VIEW that will display all folders and files in one lister like DOPUS.
-hpearce (November 08, 2010, 06:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

in dopus you can also filter the list to only show certain filetypes (or names)

sajman99:
In addition to search tools and file mangers, some system profilers could help out.

For example, WinDirStat displays file types. I know there are many more I'm not recalling at the moment.

MilesAhead:
FreeCommander has a filter but it's only for the current folder. It won't remove folders from the tree. I think the reason they don't is it's slow. FreeCommander has a Toolbar Icon to show folder sizes. It's off by default because recursively descending through the folder tree is slow. Essentially you are doing a FindFirstFile..FindNextFile processing of every file on the drive.  On the system partition that's easily several hundred thousand files.

Just open a command prompt to C:> and do
dir /s

command and watch it go on for minutes.

edit: just for chuckles I ran it on my Vista64 machine.  Took about 3 min 24 sec and listed over 215,000 files.

Might be a nice idea for a tool that does indexing though. Especially if the tree didn't get changed that often.  Like some data storage without a lot of deletions.

AndyM:
TaskTracker

http://tasktracker.wordwisesolutions.com/
-AndyM (November 07, 2010, 08:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is it freeware? I don't see any license or purchase info.
-Renegade (November 07, 2010, 09:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
No, it's $30.  At least I think that's what the cost is after clicking 5 or so links.

I used TaskTracker for several years and it worked well and served a real purpose for me.  Things changed and I didn't move it to my new machine.  I don't think I paid anywhere near $30 for it.  If I needed it again I'd look for a cheaper way first.

It doesn't work inside the Open/Save dialogs, but it does group file types across your directory tree.  It does that well.

JennyB:
Nope: Registration

I'd just use Everything and type in the path and/or filter.
-4wd (November 07, 2010, 09:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's FAST!!!  :o And it will do for what I need. Thanks!  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version