ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's the best The BAT! version?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Eóin:
I more or less moved away from TheBat! recently too. I did try Thunderbird and was impressed by how far its come, but in the end I settled on Windows Live Mail.

In spite of it's monstrous RAM usage, I quite like it.

Darwin:
I'm always surprised to see people recommending Outlook. -Dormouse (November 08, 2010, 03:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

I knew that posting about Outlook would be controversial. I've tried other e-mail clients/PIMs (Thunderbird, Eudora, Do-Organizer, even own a current license for the Bat!, and some others) but Outlook does all that I need it to do and it's always part of the Office suite that I buy. I'm becoming more and more minimalistic in my software installs (much to Curt's shock elsewhere on the forum!). So, couple Outlook's integration with other components of Office with the fact that it does all that I need it to do, and I'm a happy camper. YMMV (and clearly does!), of course...

BTW, I last installed and used the Bat! about a year ago and I can see why people like it.

And finally, a PS: in the past, NOT installing Outlook with Office was either not an option or (my memory is going?) I wasn't savvy enough at the time not to install it, which ties in with my "minimalistic" philosphy above. Actually, back then I didn't care and loaded LOTS of software on my harddrive. However, it ALWAYS irked me that I had a PIM/email client already installed and would be using something else. This is odd given that I've never had a problem (until recently) running multiple applications that overlap in functionality. Anyway, I suppose this is an example of MS winning by forcing an application upon me... So be it! I like Outlook  :-[

CodeTRUCKER:
@ Everyone who use(ed) "The BAT!" - Could you please extend the courtesy of editing your posts to include the version number you are using?  Just saying "the latest version" is not very helpful, especially given Ritlab's versioning?

@ Mouser -
I'm very satisfied with thebat latest version.  Can't say i ever have felt any really compelling reason to upgrade but i do anyway.  But then again, that's a good part of why I'm so happy with the program -- it has always does what I need it to do and never given me any trouble.
-mouser (November 08, 2010, 04:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
So I take it that f0dder's comment...
Add to that the uncanny feeling having your mail archive in a proprietary format without any easy way of getting it exported feels..."

--- End quote ---
... is nothing that concerns you?  I have to admit proprietary incarceration of *my* data bothers me too, which is why Outlook has not held a place of high regard.  I will say I have noticed that software clients that use a proprietary db do tend to be more robust and stable.

mouser:
well that does concern me in general, and specifically.  you can export messages from thebat, but there is no good way that i know of to export and preserve the account structure let along multiple accounts.  so yes, it is a concern.  especially if i were a new user coming to the question of what email client to use, it would weight heavier against thebat.

Jibz:
I must admit I am not that terribly bothered ideologically by the format being proprietary. As long as there is a reasonable export path.

The real problem is that it means it's hard to find support for it in other tools, like backup software or search tools (I think Archivarius is the only decent one with The Bat! support).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version