topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Nice Keyboard, However...  (Read 8870 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice Keyboard, However...
« on: November 06, 2010, 10:20 PM »
http://www.logitech....evices/7288?WT.ac=ps|7388

Im looking for a new Keyboard, and while looking at Josh's post about Trackballs, found the one on the above link.

Now, it might just be me, but i hope to god thats not a soft touch keyboard, or anything like a laptop one, cause if its "clicky", then I just might buy it.

I much prefer to know I have actually pressed a key, rather than just guessing, this is why I opt for a 12 year old keyboard as my current choice.

If its not a clicky one, anyone know of any good ones that are?

(Possibly one thats backlit on each key like this one is)

Cheers

-Stephen

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Nice Keyboard, However...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 11:39 PM »
I am so getting that... one of these days. :)

I have an illuminated keyboard that I bought several years ago (for the same price), and that Logitech one seems to address all the complaints I have about mine:

1) Mine is a bit compact like a laptop keyboard, but with a numpad, resulting in some odd placements for some keys (e.g. for some reason the key that makes these symbols "|" and "\" is by the LEFT alt button as well as in its usual place above the enter/return key. There is also no gaps between the number keys and the F# keys, making it hard to press the correct function keys by touch, which results in a lot of "fat fingering" the function keys when trying to press a number, bringing up help menus and other unwanted side effects). The Logitech is a full size keyboard, so everything is where it belongs.
2) The letters are starting to wear off some of the keys. The Logitech letters are laser etched, which I believe means they won't be rubbing off or wearing out.
3) I find I still don't like typing in the dark with mine because the light from my monitor is so bright in my eyes that I still can't see very well the keys on the keyboard, so I usually have a light on in the room. The Logitech lights up only the letters' silhouette and appears brighter, making it easier to identify letters in the dark.

There's a video in the image gallery where he presses the buttons. It seems to be fairly standard keyboard, but I'm not sure what you mean by "clicky." I think it might be quiet, but it seems like you would definitely be able to feel the button depress. But that's also how laptop keyboards are (you can feel them press down and come back up, but they're kind of quiet), so I'm not sure if it meets your "clicky" requirement.

What would be cool is if I got that and the mouse, both coming with a unifying USB receiver, then I could put the USB receivers into two computers and control both of them with the same keyboard and mouse without having to disconnect anything. I might have to get creative and use Skrommel's Toddler Trap on the PC I don't want to be controlling at the moment, but I still think that would be cool.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 11:46 PM »
by clicky, i would have you remember the old commodore keyboards...

CLICKY!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 11:51 PM »
i would have you remember the old commodore keyboards...

You're assuming I was alive and owned a commodore back in those days.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 11:55 PM »

Jeff Atwood  did a recent blog article about keyboards.  You might be interested in reading his suggestions and the many suggestions that I imagine are in the comments:

- http://www.codinghor...e-keyboard-cult.html

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 12:59 AM »
I have this lighted keyboard.

Logitech Lighted Keyboard.pngNice Keyboard, However...

I have used it for almost a year and I love it!  It is not "clicky" like an old IBM AT, nor is it like the mush of most laptops.  It is somewhere in between, but there is a positive feel to it, but your mileage may vary.  The "almost-click" is perfect for me as it allows me to peck away late into the night without waking anyone.  Mine has four-levels of light (High, Medium, Low and Off).

I don't know how similar mine is to the one in question, but I can vouch with confidence for the one I use.  I just discovered the following statement is on both product pages... "Every stroke you make is comfortable, fluid, and whisper-quiet with the PerfectStroke™ key system." 

Hope this helps.  :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 01:12 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 04:33 PM »
"Every stroke you make is comfortable, fluid, and whisper-quiet with the PerfectStroke™ key system." 

Hope this helps.  :)

Not buying it then, I like big removable buttons that you can hear being pressed from the next room, always have, always will.  Ive tried those touch sensitive keyboards and fail at typing, just the same with laptop keyboards...what it takes me 30 seconds to type without errors on mine, takes me 2 minutes on those due to hitting multiple keys at once, or pressing the complete wrong key lol

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 11:59 PM »
For anyone still interested, be sure to check Amazon. It's listed as over $10 cheaper with free shipping in the US. :Thmbsup:

http://www.amazon.co...-K800/dp/B003VAGXWK/

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 06:54 PM »
+1 w/Deozaan  :Thmbsup:

I checked with DealNews. Amazon currently has the lowest price.

BTW: dealnews.com is a good place to check for sales prices. I subscribe to their RSS feeds. I find decent deals for myself and my clients all the time over there. Good place to check for web "coupon" codes too.  :two:

DISCLAIMER: just for the record, 40hz no affiliations, kickback, or other business arrangements with the folks at Dealnews. He's either too honest, or too dumb, to ask merchants for something like that.  :mrgreen:

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 06:59 PM »
DISCLAIMER: just for the record, 40hz no affiliations, kickback, or other business arrangements with the folks at Dealnews. He's either too honest, or too dumb, to ask merchants for something like that.  :mrgreen:

You forgot the rest of the family!  ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 07:11 PM »
@ CT

I take it you know about my Uncle then?  ;D

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 07:51 PM »
@ CT

I take it you know about my Uncle then?  ;D

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 12:04 AM »

Jeff Atwood  did a recent blog article about keyboards.  You might be interested in reading his suggestions and the many suggestions that I imagine are in the comments:

- http://www.codinghor...e-keyboard-cult.html

Oh my! The Deck Legend Ice Tactile - I just fell in love!   :-*   And fortunately they are out of stock for the next month because I can't afford the damn thing right now! But.... I.... want.... one....

Thank you.

Jim

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 01:57 AM »
Yippie for this thread!
I never knew the things existed!  

I wasn't able to tell by the Deck web site if the back light is adjustable.  Does anyone know?  
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 11:30 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 06:26 PM »
I own the Deck Legend - Fire and yes, the backlight is adjustable (Fn key + Up and Down arrow keys).

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 09:19 PM »
I have this lighted keyboard.

I have used it for almost a year and I love it!  It is not "clicky" like an old IBM AT, nor is it like the mush of most laptops.  It is somewhere in between, but there is a positive feel to it, but your mileage may vary.  The "almost-click" is perfect for me as it allows me to peck away late into the night without waking anyone.  Mine has four-levels of light (High, Medium, Low and Off).

I don't know how similar mine is to the one in question, but I can vouch with confidence for the one I use.  I just discovered the following statement is on both product pages... "Every stroke you make is comfortable, fluid, and whisper-quiet with the PerfectStroke™ key system." 

Hope this helps.  :)

I approve this message :)  I have it too, and it's a good compromise for everyday typing.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 01:38 AM »
http://www.logitech....evices/7288?WT.ac=ps

I am so getting that... one of these days. :)

I just received confirmation from Amazon.com that it shipped. Amazon sold it for $78, I used a $20 gift card that I got for free, and it came with a $15 mail in rebate and free shipping. So after all is said and done, I got a $100 keyboard for $43. Not too shabby!

It should be arriving next week. :Thmbsup: