ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Synergy: Sharing your keyboard and mouse

<< < (5/9) > >>

wraith808:
hmmm, i thought synergy went by the name of the comp, not the ip address, but perhaps it can do that also, the ip addresss thing.
-cmpm (October 24, 2007, 11:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
It does go by the name of the computer, but there's an IP address underlying... and if the IP address of the computer changes, and it can't resolve, you're in a world of trouble.  On multiplicity, it uses the computer name, also, but also lets you specify the IP address, and whether or not to look up the IP address each time. 

And you can hit force reconnect on synergy though it may take a little time.
-cmpm (October 24, 2007, 11:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, yes.  But to force a reconnect, I have to go to my computer that's ensconced away behind my TV.  Not an optimal plan, and quite annoying at times, since the computer in question is a Sony UX.

wraith808:
wraith808,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. That is the kind of info I was looking for.
-tinjaw (October 23, 2007, 05:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

No problem... if I get the time, I'll try to post some of the config screens for comparison.

cmpm:
It does go by the name of the computer, but there's an IP address underlying... and if the IP address of the computer changes, and it can't resolve, you're in a world of trouble.
--- End quote ---

I didn't know that. So sometimes I stop synergy and restart it from the server machine and it picks it back up.

But to force a reconnect, I have to go to my computer that's ensconced away behind my TV.  Not an optimal plan, and quite annoying at times, since the computer in question is a Sony UX.
--- End quote ---

And I can understand the problem here for sure. We want things to work without constant tweaking, and digging up things we buried, when we have more urgent or important things to attend to.

iphigenie:
I would love one of these that doesnt need one screen per computer. After all I have screens that can have more than one input, so it should be possible in some way...

As things stand I tend to use either a kvm or remote admin, but kvms are rarely seamless, and remote admin cant handle games...

I almost bought multiplicity a few times but the clutter of multiple screens just stopped me

cmpm:
I would think you could use the powertoy, desktop-toolbar to switch between screens. I don't know though, I haven't tried.

Deskman.exe

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version