ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Synergy: Sharing your keyboard and mouse

<< < (4/9) > >>

Dr-Leech:
Multiplicity is good too but only issue I found is that it uses keyboard configuration of the secondary pc instead of primary. So if you have another language or another keyboard (dvorak vs qwerty) you need to guess keys in your primary keyboard.

wraith808:
I've actually used both.  I bought the ThinkDesk subscription, which includes multiplicity.  I used Synergy for a while, because it's more flexible than Multiplicity, and I don't have the pro version of Multiplicity and wanted to span across multiple desktops.  For the money, it can't be beat.  However, I'm using Multiplicity again at home.  Why?

1. Multiplicity is better at regaining lost connections.  Synergy keeps increasing the connection time with each failure, until it won't connect for a *long* time.  This is good in theory, but bad in practice.  I'd disconnect my laptop, and come back and it wouldn't connect.  As my other computer is in a very out of the way place, this was a pain to correct.

2. Synergy doesn't seem to handle changes in IP addresses as well as Multiplicity in my experience.

3. With some games, Synergy wouldn't handle the mouse moves as well.

4. Synergy seems to lag more with more CPU usage, but didn't have that problem with Multiplicity.

Like I said, for the money (free) Synergy is a good solution, and it's more flexible on placing than Multiplicity, and it handles CTRL+ALT+DEL.  But Multiplicity seemed a lot more robust in my usage.

tinjaw:
wraith808,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. That is the kind of info I was looking for.

cmpm:
hmmm, i thought synergy went by the name of the comp, not the ip address, but perhaps it can do that also, the ip addresss thing.

And you can hit force reconnect on synergy though it may take a little time.

I haven't tryed Multiplicity so I can't speak of the differences and advantages.

But I'd like to try it, though I don't really need the operation as a necessity.

Grorgy:
I origiinally couldnt see a nexessity for this type of thing either, though I was on the prowl for a way to share mouse and keyboard to cut down on clutter without it being a big priority for me.  Stardock then sent me an offer on multplicity pro, so i gave the trial version a go.  It was so easy to set up and the pro version lets you copy and paste files and folders from one computer to the other, (it supports up to 6 computers I think but i only have 2 so I dont know how well it works in greater numbers)  It has made sharing of files and folders and just text snippets an absolute breeze.  You can be writing in word , say on one screen, have your browser (or any other app for that matter) on the other and cut and paste when you need to

My opinion is that these apps may not be necessary but having used one I would not like to have to go back to not using one, saves soo much time.  So whether its multiplicity or some other similar app I would recommend giving them a try.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version