ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Synergy: Sharing your keyboard and mouse

<< < (3/9) > >>

Deozaan:
I was thinking about purchasing Stardock's Multiplicity and did a search for it here on DC and found this thread. I forgot about Synergy.

I have a few questions that maybe somebody can answer. First off I see that there hasn't been a release of Synergy since April 2006. It is so stable that no new releases are necessary, or has the program fizzled out? Multiplicity is still being updated by Stardock and has been proven to work with games. How well does Synergy work with high-end games? Does the game take a hit in FPS when it is used? I also don't like that Multiplicity is Windows only as I am not.

I guess I can try Synergy and then the 15-day trial of Multiplicity, but that seems like work.  ;)

So, any reason I shouldn't go with Synergy?
-tinjaw (October 18, 2007, 10:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think I ever tried any high end games on a PC I wasn't directly controlling. I don't think it would affect the FPS, since you're still displaying everything and processing everything on the same computer, but I do wonder about the speed in which the mouse updates. Kind of like lag in a network game. Still, if it's a LAN connection it should be pretty quick. I can't see why it wouldn't work well. Just remember to lock the screen so your cursor doesn't stray off to another monitor.

Grorgy:
Ive been using multiplicity for a while now, and it works great.  I only use windows so thats not an issue for me.  I read some reviews on it and they all said there are freeware ones and so on but if you want it easy, want it to work out of the box, probably, they did mention some people had trouble with firewall permissions but that was all, then multiplicity takes care of it all.  It does to, i just installed it, it asked me to choose what computer was what which side and so  on and i've been able to ignore it ever since. Installed and working in ohh 10 minutes or less (well i had to figure out dhcp once i started using wireless a bit but that wasnt multiplicity's problem  :-[ )

cmpm:
I use synergy with 3 computers.

Benefits are-

1-more screenspace running separate applications that will not interfere with each other
in other words I can run a podcast chat and internet using separate machines and monitors-good for these old eyes

2-Only one keyboard and mouse required to run 3 machines, saves a lot of space, and you can keep mice and keyboards on the other computers and they stay operational. I have mine put away but easy to grab if needed.

3-Not Synergy related particularly, but if upgrading one computer you can use another if you have more then one in front of you. So you can do upgrades (and maintenance) which are sometimes long and still access a system free from other tasks.

And Synergy is really easy to setup once you understand what info it needs. It's more simple then I thought anyway.

iphigenie:
3 computers = 3 screens on desktop  :o

I guess I will stick with remote control (if i need to share clipboards) and/or my console switch

cmpm:
actually 4 screens since one has dual monitors
i have programs that run and keep me updated on various things
 :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version