ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Seedling's Software

norton internet security sonar blocks mixtape and flags it as trojan

(1/2) > >>

nailzuk:
Not Available
04/11/2010 at 20:17:55
Last Used:
04/11/2010 at 20:18:30
Startup Item: No
Launched: Yes
Threat Details
SONAR Protection monitors for suspicious program activity on your computer.

Downloaded from  Not Available

Source
mixtape.exe
computer must be restarted to delete this malware 
 have the coder send an email to norton and get this sorted out, we dont want donationcoder getting a bad rep, pity mixtape sounded like a decent app

mouser:
hi nailzuk.

Thanks for the report -- i'm sure it's a false positive and just another case of a lazy antivirus company falsely labeling it.
I'm going to upload it now to one of the multi-engine scanners and i will post report, and then then contact Norton, and we will see how good they are at fixing false positives.

mouser:
Ok so here's the virustotal report:

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=2a5f8f528867cd2745473d5381f2044a1aeecdba557a909aff088a89805257e4-1288954986

This confirms that it is indeed a false positive and that there is no malware in the file.

Here's how you can be confident of that.  The scan of 43 engines shows 3 lower tier engines flag it with issues.  Of these three, two mark it as "suspicious" which is a term of art in the antivirus world meaning "we have no friggin idea what we are talking about but we don't want to get a lower score from a reviewer for missing something"; and the third company (ClamAv) is being a tad bit more honest, but exhibiting their stupidity, by identifying the "malware" as: "PUA.Packed.PECompact-1" which is basically complaining that the program is packed with a compressor called "PECompact" which is a highly reputable and excellent packing tool that has nothing to do with malware; they are basically saying -- we don't know how to scan inside this packed program so we are just going to throw up our hands and label this as dangerous.

norton internet security sonar blocks mixtape and flags it as trojan

mouser:
ps. we've had a long running rant against the irresponsible behavior of antivirus companies with regard to false positives; see in particular here.

mouser:
since i don't use norton i don't have an easy way to report to them that this is a false alarm -- can you and anyone else using norton please do so.
the mixtape maker download page is here if it helps: http://seedling.dcmembers.com/rmtm.html

(and it's an excellent program!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version