ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Diff before commit

<< < (2/2)

mwb1100:
For me, diff-before-commit is in the same category as test every change before commit.  When I decide not to do it - usually because the change was so small, that there's *no way* it could cause a problem (like fixing a spelling mistake in a comment) - invariably some dumb-ass thing breaks the build or causes a crasher bug.

And diff-before-commit is really a pretty quick and easy sanity check (it's not like I review every changed line - it's more of a quick verification that I'm checking in what I'm expecting to check in, and not checking in stuff I shouldn't be).

sagji:
For me the diff before commit is the final approval step.
It is were I make sure of code quality - conformance to coding style and naming convention.
Make sure that any test code is removed.
Make sure I have tested all code paths.
Make sure that all changes correspond to something in the change description - even if it is just "review changes"
Make sure that all required changes have been done.

The only time I don't do the diff is if there is no decision in the change - such as adding in an update from an external source (e.g. updating to a later version of a 3rd party library.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version