topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Format Factory TOTAL-BULL installation of Ask.com (warning: cursing inside)  (Read 12141 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So I was updating my Format Factory installation with the Ask.com toolbar.  I like this program, but since it's free, it has to offer to install the Ask.com toolbar and all that bullshit.  Well, right at the end of the installation when you get to uncheck all those ask.com boxes, as I was clicking to uncheck the box, it just finished the installation before I could clikc Next or uncheck the other two boxes.  It just finished!  Now, I have the fucking ask.com toolbar installed which I HATE because it's a nightmare to uninstall sometimes.  I hate this bullshit.  First of all, why are there THREE fucking checkboxes for the ask.com???  A bunch of assholes, all of this bullshit.  I hate it.  I know.  I said I was going to not rant and be positive.  but cmon, now it gave me a headfake at the end.  What the heck am I supposed to do?  Now, i can't even uncheck what they're allowing me to uncheck??

And maybe it's a bug.  fine.  maybe something weird just happened this one time.  but I find it funny that the part something would screw up on is the part where I'm trying to get rid of the advertisement.  A little too coincidental for me.  I hate all this stuff so much, it's unhealthy, I know.  I liked the program, too...everyone has to be such assholes.  man.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 12:09 PM by superboyac »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Format Factory ASSHOLE installation of Ask.com
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 09:37 PM »
 ;D

Sorry. Great rant and I agree 100%

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 09:40 PM »
Thanks, dude.  I guess that's the most we can accomplish with our rants...a little sympathy.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 06:39 AM »
My dad once told me that sympathy was in the dictionary ... Right between shit and syphilus... (Mom looked awful pissed when he said it) :)

Anyhow... As Darwin said, great rant and I too agree.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 09:05 AM »
Yet another reason to monitor your installs with something like Total Uninstall or Ashampoo Uninstaller.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 09:51 AM »
And yet another reason to use Universal Extractor for situations like this.  http://legroom.net/software/uniextract

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 10:08 AM »
i always install new software in a virtual machine first, to see if i like it.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 10:08 AM »
And yet another reason to use Universal Extractor for situations like this.  http://legroom.net/software/uniextract
What does that do for you? Is the Ask Toolbar something you can delete after extracting and still be able to install the main program?

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I had a similar experience with Ask.com toolbar, iirc it was from MyPhoneExplorer... unclicked the opt-in box, which had the same effect as clicking the "next" button *without* unchecking the opt-in... deadly annoying >_<
- carpe noctem

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
...And maybe it's a bug.  fine.  maybe something weird just happened this one time.  but I find it funny that the part something would screw up on is the part where I'm trying to get rid of the advertisement.  A little too coincidental for me...

I agree with you. This crap has been going on for too long to be an innocent mistake on their part. I tested a Format Factory version a good while back and it installed some Chinese toolbar (Baidu toolbar iirc).

Oh well, there's no shortage of video converters. And the old versions work well enough. I guess there's not much incentive to upgrade.

btw Sandboxie can also be useful for testing (most) software.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
looks like it's time for an alternative converter program.. SUPER converter FTW! :P

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah, i used Super primarily before Format Factory, you can even read about it in the thread somewhere here.  But Super has it's own quirks, mainly it's horrendous website and almost as horrendous interface.  But it sure can do everything.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i've never used Format Factory before, though i have downloaded it. the thing with these freeware apps is that they have to take on 3rd party tools to stay afloat..

in any case, keep an eye on DC's Found Deals section, there might be a post on a payware convertor being given away or something like that. that'd be better for you in the long run.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah, I actually don't really know of any good shareware converters.  it seems to be a genre where all the good stuff is freeware.  Any recommendations?  Other than full video suites, like Premiere or Vegas?  I don't need a discount, if it's good I'll get it right now!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
yes there is a plethora of converters out there and most of are them just a GUI frontend to CLI tools like ffmpeg. while it's tempting to use a all-in-one program, it's best identify what type of conversions do you do most of the time and get the best tool for that.

myself i use separate converters depending on the needs. one for audio, another for flash videos, yet another for DVD ripping but that's just me. :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I cannot join the choir.

There were FIVE (5) boxes to uncheck, not merely three (3):

2010-11-07_182202.gif

All five boxes were pre-checked. I removed all the marks, and got no Askbar.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think he said 3, pointing towards the Ask boxes, not the ones asking you if you wanna run the software when the installation ends, and do u want extra codecs lol

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think he said 3, pointing towards the Ask boxes, not the ones asking you if you wanna run the software when the installation ends, and do u want extra codecs lol

However, Curt might be onto something - maybe NOT clearing the "Run FormatFactory" button causes the program to launch and load the toolbar?

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

However, Curt might be onto something - maybe NOT clearing the "Run FormatFactory" button causes the program to launch and load the toolbar?

In which case, they are forcing you to install something you don't want/require, and perhaps a friendly e-mail to the developer might solve it.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I was assuming he pressed Finish sooner than he remembers

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
myself i use separate converters depending on the needs. one for audio, another for flash videos, yet another for DVD ripping but that's just me. :)

Not just you, I also prefer separate converters.

StaxRip - Convert to MP4ASP.
HandBrake - Convert to MP4AVC.
AVIDemux - Edit/Convert to most other things.
RipIt4Me - DVD ripping.
Audio - Download whatever I need for a specific conversion, (mainly 5.1 audio), then it gets deleted - I don't need it that often that it's worth keeping installed.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You know, you guys are right.  I've never liked software that tries to do too much.  I always figured video conversion was just one "thing".  But to separate it out to different converters for different formats is probably the better way for me.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You know, you guys are right.  I've never liked software that tries to do too much.  I always figured video conversion was just one "thing".  But to separate it out to different converters for different formats is probably the better way for me.

+1 This is the route that I have taken lately.