This was once share ware and is now free. I am having an absolute blast playing this little game(210mb), so I thought I would post it here. Be sure to donate, I did! It is worth it.Game Web Site: http://www.thespiritengine.comFeatures
(From The Author):
- An extensive plot spanning nine distinct chapters. History is unravelling in the once peaceful state of Lereftain. Murderous cults are running unchecked through the streets, parliament is bickering, tension is building with old enemies in the west and the country's inhuman rulers seem to be losing control of the situation. Three citizens who find their paths crossing in an act of charity one dark night will find themselves burdened with the responsibilty of not only defending the nation but deciding whether to save civilisation as they know it.
- All new and improved original graphics. Simple yet effective new effects, including parallax scrolling and screen-shake.
- The introduction of something sorely missing from the original - difficulty levels! Play at a level to suit you and either lock it there or feel free to change it as and when you like.
- An improved real-time combat system which builds upon the simplicity of the original. With an improved interface, greater control over characters, combat speed options and action synchronisation controls to make battles more tactical and more fun.
- New game combat mechanics such as automatic character recovery, party chains and combination strike damage bonuses.
- New, varied character skills to play with, including targetted attacks and debuffs, and a whole host of crafty, unfriendly creatures to use them on.
- A vast stock of equipable items with new abilities.
(From the author):
- The Spirit Engine 2 contains themes and written dialogue that may be unsuitable for young children.
- The in-game depiction of violence is bloodless with a few minor exceptions.
- Any swearing is mild.
Also, scroll to the bottom of the downloads page to grab the text editor and item viewer.From Frostclick.com
Labeled as one of the "near perfect" RPG games in town, The Spirit Engine 2 definitely can stand on its own. The game is a 2d, side scrolling RPG game created by Mark Pay. The original Spirit Engine was released in 2003 and this version is a more improved sequel. It features great gameplay and great storyline, much improved from the original. TSE 2 also features great soundrack and cool pixel, anime type graphics. The Spirit Engine 2 has been praised as having a great storyline... (Read more at Frostclick.com)More reviews and information: