topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Zentimo at GAOTD (Nov 03, 2010)  (Read 9217 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Zentimo at GAOTD (Nov 03, 2010)
« on: November 03, 2010, 03:25 AM »
today's giveaway, Zentimo which is quite a popular tool here.. for more info, check out this mini-review by estemeed DoCo member - [user]cranioscopical[/user]. :)

zentimo_gotd_03_11_2010_001.png

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/zentimo/

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Zentimo at GAOTD (Nov 03, 2010)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 11:29 AM »
Damn! You beat me to it, lanux ;D Anyway, I'm downloading this now - thank you for bringing this the DC's attention  :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 03:12 PM »
I got this just now also. I got the USB safely remove on the prior giveaway.  Sometimes though I have to wonder if I'm getting a placebo effect(tm).

I have a folder on network share in drives in a couple of docking stations.  Typically I go to the other machine, disconnect the share in Explorer, come back, kill Everything Search because it's hooked into the drive, then hit the Stop button a bunch of times.  As often as not I have to log off or just push the Off Button on the Docking Station.  I use SysInternals sync.exe to make sure buffers are flushed.  But often as not, it seems to do nadda other than make it convenient to hide empty drives.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 08:36 PM »
Damn! You beat me to it, lanux ;D Anyway, I'm downloading this now - thank you for bringing this the DC's attention  :Thmbsup:
lol, you're welcome..

I got this just now also. I got the USB safely remove on the prior giveaway.  Sometimes though I have to wonder if I'm getting a placebo effect(tm).
yes, i've been hearing a lot about Zentimo here in DC so this giveaway is a good opportunity to see what it's all about.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 09:36 PM »
Same here lanux! I have a license for USB Safely Remove and love it. So far, Zentimo features a lot of subtle little tweaks that I really like. I haven't really had a chance to test the major new features, but I've looked at them and like what I see.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 07:35 AM »
...kill Everything Search because it's hooked into the drive...

What version of Everything are you using?

I can't remember the last time Everything stopped removal of a drive here, using the latest beta 1.2.1.451a.

Changes:

improved searching for folders by up to 20 times faster.
    fixed unrecognized included volumes in the options window.
    fixed an issue with the volume monitors not releasing handles when safely remove device requested to unmount a volume.
    fixed a display issue with new recently change dates/times.
    fixed a crash when sorting by size then second sorting by recent changes.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 12:32 PM »
I'm using Everything 1.2.1.371

It must be the latest stable because check for updates says it's up to date.
I guess I could try the beta though.

btw where are you getting this beta from? Their download page only lists the version above.

(On forum.. I see it) :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 12:35 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 12:51 PM »
I think I like USB SR better. Simpler. Went back to that.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 02:18 PM »
Got Zentimo yesterday--thanks for posting this lanux128.

USB Disk Ejector works fine for removing an external drive, but often it couldn't reconnect the drive without rebooting (pita). Now it's much more convenient with Zentimo. 8)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 12:40 AM »
I'm starting to think it may be simpler just to run sync.exe to flush buffers, then kill the power on my docking station.  Sometimes I'm messing around for 5 minutes with this foolishness. I guess the only way to know is try it the exigent way for a period of time and keep doing scan disks until I can tell if there's any adverse reaction.

I updated to latest Everything Search version and it's still reluctant to let go at times.  Seems rather silly to be opening and closing network connections and programs when there's not a copy or other activity other than change monitoring in progress.  It's starting to get old fast.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 05:08 AM »
I updated to latest Everything Search version and it's still reluctant to let go at times.  Seems rather silly to be opening and closing network connections and programs when there's not a copy or other activity other than change monitoring in progress.  It's starting to get old fast.

I don't use a docking station, I always thought they were a silly idea - what's the point of having hot-swappable drives if you've still got to kill the power on the docking station?  My friend has 3 or 4 docking stations, every one of them you have to kill the power before changing the drive.

I use two of these.  Using USR or Zentimo to eject and then pull the drive out, as I said, I can't remember the last time Everything stopped me removing the drives.  That beta has been out for 12 months and is pretty stable.

So just to get this straight in my head:

Docking station connected to remote pc, you share a folder on it and then map it from your local pc which is running Everything and is therefore trying to index everything on the remote mapped, shared folder ?

Does it release if Everything is configured to not index that mapped volume ?

What happens if you turn on USN Journal logging but turn off Monitor Changes ?   Is it really necessary for changes to be monitored on the mapped drive ?
I believe the database will be updated the next time the drive is mapped.

Do you need Everything to index the mapped drive ?

If you don't need Everything to index the drive then one idea is map the shared folder using SUBST.

eg. subst M: "\\192.168.0.10\some\folder"

Even though Everything sees the drive it doesn't index it, (well, here it doesn't), and then remove the mapping with:

subst M: /D

Alternatively if you need the remote drive indexed, why not run Everything on the remote pc and use its HTTP interface ?

http://user:[email protected]:8082/?s=<search phrase>
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 05:15 AM by 4wd »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 01:18 PM »
As far as killing the power on docking stations I know people who don't but I don't understand the thrill of pulling a gyroscope out of the dock. I don't see the issue powering down the dock. btw afa the "have to power down" I believe that's cya copy from the dock company's legal dept. I'm sure many people just yank the drive with no problems.

Unlike the drawer that installs in the tower the dock can be used with other things.  Such as my WD HDTV set top box for playing HDTV content.  Way more convenient than unplugging wires to use an external USB drive. The other consideration is the USB 3.0 card is faster than the disc controller native to the machine.  I can just plug 6 Gb/sec internal drives into the dock, format and rock.

On Everything, I monitor local drives.  The drive in the docking station is seen as a local HD whether a folder is shared or not.  The shared folder thing is Windows not wanting to let go of the drive even though I disconnect on the remote machine.

At this point it's not worth the bother. I uninstalled Zentimo and USB Safely Remove.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 01:23 PM by MilesAhead »

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 09:11 AM »
I got it, installed it in place of USB Safely Remove.  Then yesterday I got a BSOD, when trying to eject my iPod.  I never had such a problem with USR, so I uninstalled Zentimo and use USR again.
.merle1.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 09:18 AM »
I'm still running it - it's been stable (even when disconnecting my Samsung YP-T9, which doesn't connect as a drive) and my Motorola RAZR. I'm still finding the additional features useful, though I'm waiting for the novelty to wear off....

Bionic71

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 09:17 PM »
((Bump))

Zentimo 1.0 for free, December 1st - 7th

http://zentimo.com/giveawayd10.htm

License conditions:
 * The license is valid only for v. 1.0 of 'Zentimo', so if you wish
   to upgrade to future version consider purchasing a subscription
   for upgrades.
 * You can use the program personally on each of your computers
 * You can use this version for lifetime

Giveaway special: 40% off (Coupon: GAD10_OFF)

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 01:47 AM »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 02:34 PM »
I like the eye candy. I wanted the program to work.  That's why I kept going through gyrations to see if I could find the quickest way to get the state to Ok To Remove my drives.  In the end it's too unpredictable on my machines at least.

Now I just exit from Everything Search, run sync.exe from SysInternals, and push the power button on the dock.  Periodically I do a scandisk on the drive in the dock. No problems reported.

Just didn't work out for me.  Glad I had the full version to play around with though.  Thanks for the free licenses. :)