ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Violence in Video Games & the Law

<< < (3/5) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
I still dont understand how people can say video games and movies cause children to be violent...no...CHILDREN CHOOSE to be violent, either through their own choice, or because of bad parenting.
-Stephen66515 (November 09, 2010, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is a might inconsistent, "...CHILDREN CHOOSE to be violent, either through their own choice, or because of bad parenting...."  How does bad parenting make children choose to be violent?

Hear hear!  It is all about "parenting," but let's be kind... Believe it or not there are parents out there that don't have a clue about what is going on with their children between catching the downtown bus at 06:45 when it is still dark and over an hour when the school bus shows up.  The same is the case at the end of the day.  Mom (many times a single) gets off the bus after the sun goes down (keep in mind the kids have been out of school for three hours) and she has to concentrate on making dinner, cleaning up getting the kids to take baths and go to bed.  THEN she has about 15 minutes to herself before she collapses into bed just to get up and do it all over again.  

I'm not making excuses, but when does she get to gain enough real knowledge to offer her children better, if not wholesome alternatives?  Answer: [Deleted due to possibility of provoking severe depression].

CodeTRUCKER:
Is a violent world we live in. Sweet coating it will not help the children.
-rxantos (November 09, 2010, 10:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

"Sweet coating" carries a connotation of preventing the child from knowing the truth of a reality.  It is a "violent world we live in...," but it also a beautiful one too, if the child is taught where to look.  To suggest that preventing the teen-age populace from unfettered access to graphically and audibly modeled violence is in some way "Sweet coating" is somewhat narrow and could be construed to be manipulative.  I ask you, does a constant diet of "Mortal Kombat," "GTA," etc. *really* represent the real world for everyone all the time?

As I have stated elsewhere, even the FBI has understood the best way to educate is to provide a constant contact with the authentic for a specified period of time, then when the counterfeit appears it sticks out like a sour note in a symphony.  The aberration is easily recognizable.  This legislation (like the vast majority of laws) was provoked because of a vacuum of responsibility.  Don't blame the Legislature, except where said body created circumstances which prevented parents from doing what would come natural... parenting.  Yet, as has been noted, a vicious cycle is produced because...

Laws are enacted to fill the void of bad parenting = Bad parenting is provoked by inappropriate laws.Instead, foment cooperation instead of competition. All games and school are about competition instead of cooperation. Heck the whole system is about competition.

--- End quote ---

I, for one, am very intrigued by how you would suggest you/we/they "foment cooperation?" 

And that is what keeps a few controlling a rat race.

--- End quote ---

No argument from me on this one.  Ever heard of a Central Bank?  (Pssst - take the "Goals" part with a grain of salt. ;))

40hz:
This is a might inconsistent, "...CHILDREN CHOOSE to be violent, either through their own choice, or because of bad parenting...."  How does bad parenting make children choose to be violent?
-CodeTRUCKER (November 09, 2010, 04:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Comic Rita Rudner summed it up best when she said she found the whole debate between Nature versus Nurture in child development to be very comforting. Because either way (intrinsic nature or upbringing) she still got to blame her parents for everything.
 ;D

Stoic Joker:
Instead, foment cooperation instead of competition. All games and school are about competition instead of cooperation. Heck the whole system is about competition.
-rxantos (November 09, 2010, 10:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I, for one, am very intrigued by how you would suggest you/we/they "foment cooperation?"  
-CodeTRUCKER (November 09, 2010, 05:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Second place is the first loser is a common mantra these days; win, win, win at all cost. I've always thought Donald Trumps show the apprentice sums up perfectly just what is wrong with the corporate world of today...$5,000 for an inedible cupcake, nice.

I'm guessing rxantos is driving at a more team building synergistic type of game play where cooperation is a mandatory part of success, or everyone fails together. I rather enjoy that sort of thing. You have 20min, a pile of seemingly random objects, and a task to perform... Now what?

It's also interesting to see how many of the folks that do the most (If-they'd-just-listen-to-me...) bitching in the "break room" actually will step up and volunteer a solution to the task put before the group. The team has to gel quickly, work out a game plan, and make it happen. Or fail as one.

CodeTRUCKER:
I'm guessing rxantos is driving at a more team building synergistic type of game play where cooperation is a mandatory part of success, or everyone fails together.
-Stoic Joker (November 09, 2010, 07:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's the trick, isn't it?  I agree in theory with what you are saying, but this is all just a lot of fun unless a real paradigm can be brought to birth.  So, my question remains... "how?"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version