topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Deceptive Online Advertising  (Read 2394 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Deceptive Online Advertising
« on: February 07, 2011, 02:56 AM »
Believe it or not, this is an ad:

Screenshot - 2011-02-07 , 4_07_12 PM.png

I saw it at some site. I forget where now. Just snapped the screenshot as I was busy.

It's nothing more than an image.

And no... I forgot to click through and ended up closing the window. :(
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Deceptive Online Advertising
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 04:50 AM »
Their site pretty much looks just like their ad, but bigger. It's a pay for info site, where you get charged for answers. They say you don't pay until you are satisfied with the answer. They cover just about any topic.

They claim the people answering questions are experts and according to their employment opportunities page, they require verifiable credentials in whatever field you think you are an expert in, before they are willing to turn you loose answering questions.

examples:

Programming:
    * Computer-related educational degree; OR
    * Alternatively, programming related certification (e.g. A+); OR
    * Alternatively, 2+ years of relevant programming-related employment (e.g. engineer, programmer).

Dream interpretation*:
# General dream interpretation license or certification from an association or organization specializing in dream interpretation (i.e. www.asdreams.org.); OR
# Alternatively, Psychiatry or Psychology license/certification in good standing; OR
# Alternatively, 2+ years of relevant psychiatric/dream interpretation-related employment (as relevant to the forum); OR
# Alternatively, 2+ years of relevant dream interpretation-related employment (as relevant to the forum)
* glad to see it isn't copy & paste from some 100+ yr old woo woo dream dictionary.

Parenting:
    * Parenting or child-related license or certification that is active and in good standing (e.g. child psychiatrist, pediatrician, teacher, social worker, coach), OR
    * Alternatively, 2+ years of parenting or child-related employment (e.g. teacher, nanny, parenting-related author), OR
    * Alternatively, parenting or child-related educational degree

From the number of UK related categories they have, I believe they are a UK based business. Without actually going through the process of asking a question and paying for the answer to be sure, just from what I can see on their site, they don't look like they are trying to scam anyone.