ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Shortcut Key Article

<< < (2/4) > >>

brianpals:
OK, Mouser, but give me a few days.  You are the reason why I decided to donate in the first place so I suppose I owe you that.  :-)

MilesAhead:
Before FARR I used SlickRun. Also I tried several of the alias type launchers where you type and get a match.  Trouble is, I often forget the name of the executable while remembering what it does.  With categorized shortcuts, I go into Editors if I want to edit and the icon triggers my memory.

Unless you know one where typing "duh" finds everything, I'm gonna' need icon based launching. :)

eleman:
Apart from FARR, I can recommend you two alternatives for shortcut keys:

My first choice was to create an ad-hoc autohotkey script which contained shortcuts defined to launch whatever I wanted. I would then compile it, and put it into start-up. This is also a relatively easy way of assigning new characters to keys. For instance, here is what I use at the moment:

--- ---; Minimize Current Window
#Down::WinMinimize,A

; Force current window to stay on top
#Up::WinSet,AlwaysOnTop,Toggle,A

;mouse wheel function with win-pageup-pagedown
#PgDn::Send {WheelDown}
#PgUp::Send {WheelUp}

;Type NumpadDot types "." I hate Turkish keyboard layout, I despise Turkish regional settings.
;win+NumpadDot types ","
#NumpadDot::,
NumpadDot::SendRaw .

;Send alt-insert when alt-NumpadSub is pressed (for trados and stupid stupid logitech keyboard with no separate insert key)
!NumpadSub::!Insert

;Type accented A and a for Turkish
#+a::Â
#a::â

;Save some energy
+F1::
sleep 750
SendMessage,0x112,0xF170,2,,Program Manager
return

The second option is SecondShell. It's a handy utility to make efficient use of large monitors. When you install it, edit the secondshell.ini to change the custom hotkeys. It lets you assign any application to any win-hotkey.

There are more than one way of doing things, and I love learning others' ways, so thought you might like to hear my way.

brianpals:
Eleman, now you've really got me confused!
I'm not a programmer.  I wouldn't know where to copy and paste the code(?) that you've posted above even if I did think I needed it.
Look, I have 2 monitors and use Winsplit Revolution to manipulate any open window to any of over 26 positions on these screens... all using keyboard shortcuts.  I think that's enough for anyone... unless, of course, they love programming, which turns me off.

eleman:
I'm not a programmer.  I wouldn't know where to copy and paste the code(?) that you've posted above even if I did think I needed it.
-brianpals (November 03, 2010, 02:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

That is a primitive autohotkey script. That is a comparatively simple and handy scripting language. The quick start tutorial on that page is very informative.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version