ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Shortcut Key Article

(1/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
I found this of interest because on occasions when I tried using a hotkey with a Windows shortcut, it seemed inconsistent. I gave up on it.  The article explains the locations where the shortcut key will work.

It may save running a hotkey just to launch a program esp. if you can stand the shortcut being in the All Programs list.  Unfortunately it seems to favor the desktop. I've cleaned all icons off my desktop and have no desire to put them back.  Anyway, it may clarify some things for those frustrated with the shortcut key mechanism:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-create-custom-hotkey-your-favorite-application-or-folder.htm

hpearce:
I seldom use shortcuts/hotkeys ... there are too many to remember and no real logic to a lot of them ... by the time I figure out what hotkey I want, I could have used the mouse and GUI to accomplish the same  :D

MilesAhead:
I'm with you on that. For launching apps I have several methods but the most organized is folders with categories of shortcuts and each folder is in RocketDock.  For stuff I use the most I have StandAlone Stack in the TaskBar or QuickLaunch depending if it's W7 or Vista.

I just remember trying them and sometimes they worked and sometimes they didn't. I don't recall seeing the info that they had to be in All Programs or Desktop before.  For the hotkey programs I write the hotkey is in the About dialog as reminder.

brianpals:
As a very keen keyboard shortcut fan I find Launchy brilliant.  It takes 2 keys to open the program and then one or two to find the program that I want to launch.
Before I found Launchy I used FARR, which is very good but not quite up to the Launchy standard.  However, if Launchy won't find a certain file, I can use Launchy to launch FARR and then that generally finds it for me.
Yes, I can agree that remembering keyboard shortcuts can be quite a task in itself but, once you really get to know them, the only time you would need the mouse in Windows XP is when manipulating graphics.

mouser:
Hi Brian,

Launchy is a good program, but as the author of FARR i can't help but wonder why you prefer it over FARR.. have you tried FARR lately? Please do let me know any areas where FARR could use improvement.  But not on this thread, better to post in the FARR section of the forum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version